CHAPTER 18: SUPPORT SYSTEMS

(Previously)

Dawn just stood in front of the MARINE. She then tried to communicate with Stern telepathically while inside the room.

[DAWN (telepathically): General, permission to enter. I need to see Selene.]

[STERN (telepathically): She's busy at the moment.]

[SELENE (telepathically): Let her in.]

General Stern briefly stopped and looked when he heard Selene's response in his mind.

"Excuse me, ma'am. Again, please lea--", reiterated the MARINE to Dawn.

General Stern then opens the door and interrupted the MARINE, "There's no need for that. She may enter.".

The MARINE bows down and moved out of the door way.

Upon entering, Dawn saw Selene inside a "Controlled Environment" while interrogating an injured GHOST unit as Stern watches them from outside of the chamber.

"What the hell's happening here?!", she asks the General.

"I assume you've heard the news.", Stern smirked at Dawn. "Have a close look on our traitor.".

"Traitor?", she clarifies.

The General then explains, "Yes. Earlier today, we've captured around 50 of them here in the GHOST CORPS. They are guilty of favoring with the Confederates. All of them knew vital information about the CONFEDERACY which were never reported. We've caught them telepathically, thanks to Selene's thinking.".

"Damn.", Dawn mumbled.

"After we're done here, we will finally have a clear direction of how to track down those Confederates and their allies.", Stern smiled. "Soon, we will be able to pin-point their locations and as well as predict their next move.".

"Count me in.", Dawn volunteers.

All of a sudden, they heard a gun shot inside the "Controlled Environment". Both Stern and Dawn looked at saw Selene pointing down her pistol in front of a dead GHOST. She deliberately shot the man in the head.

She locks her gun and puts it back in her holster.

"Get this carcass out of here.", Selene orders. "MAIA, sanitize the environment. Prepare for the next interrogation.".

[MAIA (female robotic voice): INITIATING DECONTAMINATION SEQUENCE. YOU MAY NOW LEAVE THE AREA.]

Selene immediately went out and greeted Dawn, "It's about time you returned.".

"Yeah. I see you've successfully did something here.", smirked Dawn.

"It's far from over. There's a lot of work to be done.".

"Yeah. Tell me about it.", Dawn sighed and noticed how tense Selene is. "Are you alright?".

"No.", she answered. "Please excuse me for a minute.".

There, Selene left the room.

"What's happening to her?", Dawn asked the General.

"I don't know. She won't tell me.", Stern shook his head.

"I'm worried for my friend, General. Is there something we can do to help her?"

General Stern just took a deep breath, "Well, I suppose we can ask someone.".