Forever - Koe Wetzel

Inspired by Modern Day Bonnie and Clyde by Travis Tritt

Heels click against the pavement of the Mapco in the outskirts of Tyler, Texas. The snakeskin Tony Lama's catch his attention as he's filling up his tank on that 1966 Mercury Cyclone.

"Which way are you headin'?" She asks, tossing her jacket in the shotgun seat.

"Uh, South. Houston." He replies, hanging up the pump handle.

"You want some company?"

Joe knows this woman is bad news but hell, he's the king of bad news.

He smirks to himself as he climbs in, opening the door for her from the inside. She climbs in and the two are off down 155.

+++

"Hey, pull off at that store. I need to grab something."

Koe says nothing as he pulls in and parks off to the side before his passenger heads inside.

"Drive!"

Joe looks up from the pack of cigarettes he's been fidgeting with at her voice. "Go, go, go!" She shouts as she climbs in the shotgun seat with a full bag.

Koe puts that hammer down and they tear out of the little dirt parking lot and down the highway. "What the hell!?"

She laughs, showing him the contents of the bag. "We'll count it all later."

"Ballpark it, baby."

+++

He gets a room at some shitty motel in Corpus Christi, Texas.

His Bonnie Parker dumps the cash she stole from the little store on the slept in bed. 

"600... 620..."

The woman peeks out the window and freezes when her face is lit with red and blue lights. "Damn- fuck!" She gasps when the door shakes.

Smith County police breaks down the door and immediately grabs Koe and the woman, arresting them, reading their rights before shoving them into the police cars.

Its a long drive back to Tyler.

This whole situation feels like a dream but the hard tip of the Glock pointed at the side reminds him its real and its happened.

He knows  he'll get a few years in prison and a few thousand dollar fine but it'll make one hell of a story.