𝟎𝟏

𝗢𝗠𝗡𝗜𝗦𝗖𝗜𝗘𝗡𝗧

Ivy Marlene
📍Bronx, New York: 2020

Ivy stared out the car window lost in thought

Ivy stared out the car window lost in thought. The water vapour had created an immense fog on the glass - that paired alongside the pitch black skies made it almost impossible to make out what laid on the other side. Regardless, she watched as the familiar blocks flew past as well as the few run down areas she had grown to know far too well. Her mind remained blank as she mentally interrogated herself on how her mindset remained passive, despite her current situation. She somewhat felt guilty. It was almost as if her father's death desensitised her to the world around her. How could it have not?

Despite 'Dreamin' by PARTYNEXTDOOR playing faintly in the background, Ivy still felt an overwhelming sense of silence. Because of this, her eyes found themselves closing and they would remain that way until she had reached her destination...

"So fucked up she gots to stare
But she don't hear what she don't wanna hear
Leanin', exercise, I've been leanin'
50 side of me dreamin'
Other side, I've been schemin"

A week from now Ivy would have been care-free in her North London home. Life was never perfect for Ivy, however for the first time she had felt like she had control over the direction she was going in. Her current life situations meant it was impossible for her to continue living in her home without her falling into insanity or worse.

She lived with her mother and father in a tight council estate house, it wasn't much, but she was used to it. As a kid, Ivy's mother meant the world to her. She looked up to her - ensuring every move she made was done for the approval and acceptance of her mother. Their affectionate relationship only lasted so long. This was because, Ivy never forgot. She never forgot the events of December 2017. The trauma it caused her and the way it was thrown back in her face by the person she had counted on to resolve it. What happened to her resulted the deterioration of Ivy and her mother's relationship forever. It was irreparable. 

Naturally, due to this Ivy had grown her relationship with her father. She grew what some would call an unnatural attachment to the parent, following him everywhere he'd do, copying his mannerisms, interests and hobbies. The most notable being his love for music. This all just played a part in the hard-hitting emotional distress she would experience when he was taken from her... right in front her.

"Excuse me. Ma'am?"

A deep voice woke the young girl. " We're here."

Ivy delivered a slight smile the taxi driver's way before thanking him. She made her way out the car and struggled to collect all she had packed.