VII

"The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see

"The more grateful I am, the more beauty I see."
Mary Davis

This chamber will drive me mad. Once again, I am stuck between those walls going crazy. The boy, Delmont, brought me here five minutes ago only to push me inside, sequestrate me and stand on the other side. I know about that since I tried to get out moments before but he told me in an annoyed tone that he was to follow orders and hurried me back into the room.

"I want to get out of here!" I scream at him from my sitting position on the floor. As I'm about to shout again, the door swings open. Delmont looks at me with curious eyes while he leans on the doorframe.

"What part of "if they find you, they won't hesitate to take you as a way of pressure against your father" do you not understand?" He asks in slight exasperation.

"I don't understand anything right now and I want to go back to the orphanage! Why did you take me here?! Why are you all acting so strangely and why are we in this fancy place?!" The pressure of the last hours rises in an instant and I am now full-on shouting like a maniac.

Delmont looks surprised at my reaction and fully closes the door behind him as he takes a step forward. "I am starting to think you fell on your head this morning, my princess. You should lie down and rest for some time."

"I don't need rest and I am well except for the fact that you along with those crazy people kidnapped me in my sleep!" I exclaim. The boy starts laughing at my words, tilting his head back a little as he does. "Kidnapped you? Where did you get that stupid idea?"

Is he playing with me? I really can't keep the act anymore, I need to get out of here as soon as possible. Confused and scared, I try to pass by him but before I can reach the handle of the door, Delmont grabs my arm and pulls me back toward him. "Do I have to knock you out like I did this morning or are you going to stop this burst of madness?" He whispers in my ear while pulling me to a cushioned chair in the corner of the room. His breath on my exposed neck makes me shiver.

"Let me go, please," I whisper back pleadingly.

"I can't do that, Miss," he says in a low tone as he sits me down on the seat. "It shouldn't be long until they catch the intruders and then you'll be able to get out of your room. As for me, I should go back to the hallway or someone could get the wrong idea. We wouldn't want that now, would we?"

I arch a brow and give him an unimpressed look at what he's implying. I stay still until he disappears through the door. Only then do I rise up and start searching frantically for an escape route. I've had enough, I'm getting out of this shit on my own. I try to force every window in the three rooms without success. I can't break one since the noise would attract Delmont's attention.

Hope leaves my mind gradually at each failed attempt but as I am about to give up, a small detail in the wall of the walking closet grabs my attention. The little handle is hidden by a sunny yellow dress and could easily escape the sight of someone who isn't as desperately looking around as me.