XVI

"Can you remember who you were, before the world told you who you should be?"-Charles Bukowski

-Charles Bukowski

Sitting on my bed, surrounded by fluffy pillows, I take out the old lady's book and open it to the page I last read. I decided to follow the woman's demands, partly because she scared me into doing so and the other part because I didn't want her to appear by my bed in the middle of the night to threaten me more into reading her novel.

Mageia. The fifth and last sibling. Now, she was the peculiar one of the group. Her way of thinking differed from the others, she kept to herself most of the time and she was often found deep in thoughts, as if she was plotting. One time, as the siblings were admiring the work they created, Mageia spoke for the first time in a week and declared that she thought something was missing. Something, as she explained, that would bring excitement to their creation. But what scared her siblings wasn't her new idea, no, it was the thirst in her eyes and the hunger they saw for this thing she talked about. Just like her siblings, she started exploring her potential night after night when everyone was asleep. No matter how much she could accomplish, her thirst only grew and pushed her to seek more. She quickly became the most powerful, able to do things with her mind, her hands and her soul. However, her siblings had had enough and feared the consequences of her actions so they confronted her once and for all. Furious at them for not believing in her and her potential, the girl cursed her siblings and their creations on the same occasion. However, the energy became too much. Too much for their bodies and souls. And as they all locked eyes before disappearing into dust from which magic would be born, Mageia spoke for the last time. "I told you I'd do great things, brothers."

That tale was quite depressing once again, I think as I close the book and place it in the bedside table's drawer instead of its usual place under my pillow. Lorelei should be happy now that I read the first chapter and with some luck, maybe she will finally leave me alone.

I get up and wiggle out of my dress gown before throwing it on the floor and putting on a nightie. When I'm finally ready to sleep, I turn off the light and throw myself on the bed.

Maybe I'll dream about the five siblings and their stories. I can not lie, I can't get them out of my head since I've started reading the book. Does everyone here know about this story? Or is it only one of the many theories they came up with to explain the birth of the world they live in? I could ask Cateline in a letter if she knows about them. Discreetly, of course. I wouldn't want her to think I'm mad if I asked her about a story everyone here grew up with.

I wonder if I'll ever tell people about my secret. I doubt they would be of any help about it. Lorelei is the only one who seems to know something about my unbelievable misadventure. I shouldn't trust her. I saw her in the theatre and she never answered my questions about it.

I fall asleep with all these thoughts and questions running through my head like wild animals in a dark jungle. I can get the answers I need another time. All I need to know now is that fate chose me to favor and sent me here to make up for the pitiful childhood I was granted.