IX

"It was  only a  sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living"-F

-F. Scott Fitzgerald

"I thought we could go to Madam Belle first and get you a new dress for the ball next week, then I would love to go to that new jewelry boutique. I heard the owner is a very talented man."

My attention is fully on the woman as she speaks in a melodic tone. She guided me to the castle entrance and now holds my arm in hers while walking on a rock path that seems to be leading to the same city I went to sooner. Two soldiers are also trailing behind us for security as the lady by my side said. Those people must love bringing me back to places I've already been to. First that damn room and now this town.

Tho, this time I take the time to truly look at my surroundings. The old lady succeeded in planting her crazy theories in my head. The book surely didn't help either since all I can think about is that tale concerning the gods and goddesses.

"How about I take you to that cafe my mother used to bring me to when I was young? It has been a while since we last ate there, what do you think little star?"

"It seems like a good idea," I respond before taking a deep breath and asking her a question of my own. "Why do you call me little star?"

The brunette faces me with confusion but regains her beautiful smile just as fast. "You already asked me that, don't you remember? I must say, you were young at that time and you've never brought up that subject again."

"Care to remind me?" I ask her, dying to understand more about this weird place. She laughs and looks back ahead as she talks.

"Stars are very important, you know. Not only are they pretty and help us locate where we are but they also spread hope to those who believe. Everyone has at least once in their life made a wish while looking at the starry sky. You, my little star, are my sparkle of hope in this world slowly stumbling into madness. I knew from the first time I saw your little face that you would bring me all the joy I need and grow up to do great things."

I nod at her explanation, unable to say anything else. The woman doesn't seem to mind and keeps her smile on. We keep walking for about five minutes in comfortable silence.

Around us, I see many tall trees and colourful birds flying high in the sky. One thing is for sure, we don't have those at the orphanage. Whether it is only because I'm in another country or in a whole different world as the woman said back in the room, I don't know. We finally reach an enormous golden entryway leading to the city.

"Stay close to me, with those people mad about your father's decisions it is not safe. Talking about him, he wasn't so pleased about our little trip. You know he's anxious for our security these days." The lady whose name I still don't know pulls me closer delicately by the forearm and leads us to a fancy-looking boutique sporting a light green sign with the name Madam Belle written on it. Wasting no time, she rushes us inside. The guards stay outside, posting on each side of the door we just went through. A doorbell rings, announcing our presence to the workers.