XII

"Only the dead have seen the end of war

"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
-Plato

The castle's doors open wide as I make my way inside in a rush to find the king. Luckily, I'm not wearing a dress at the moment which makes my searches much easier. You'd be surprised how much tissue those gowns are made of.

"Have you seen the king?" I ask a maid near me.

She bows before me slightly and nods her head politely. "Yes, my lady, he's in the meeting room but I'm afraid he and the queen are busy with visitors. Would you like the bakers to make you a threat, my princess?"

I shake my head at her question, not hungry in the slightest. "Could you show me where the room is please, I really need to see him," I push with the most polite tone I can make up.

I see her hesitate as if there was something she wasn't telling me, but she agrees nonetheless, walking in front while motioning for me to follow. The girl guides me through the castle keeping her head low and at a slow pace.

Finally, we reach the doors and she bows to me once again before walking away and leaving me to knock gently. It takes only a few seconds for two guards to open them and I am immediately faced with an enormous room furnished with a large round table surrounded by many chairs.

Facing me is the king, sitting high on his chair, and looking around with a straight face. From what I've seen, the man seems to me like a true leader. He radiates such authority and power that nobody could deny him his status. His perfectly shaven beard and straight eyebrows show his seriousness but the little spark in his eyes and the way he smiles reminds us of his great kindness.

"Is there a problem, Alora darling?" The man asks with sudden concern, setting aside the intense discussion I assume was taking place.

I must look a little shaken up from my quick trip back but I straighten up and clear my throat to compose myself as much as I can. "No, not at all. Only, I couldn't help but be intrigued by the whole battalion making his way into the castle," I say with an innocent look.

Kian laughs and shakes his head before looking back at me. "Of course, I should have known your curiosity would get the best of you. Why don't you come and take a seat? Please, bring her a chair," he murmurs the last part to a servant behind him.

"Kian, are you sure you want to involve your daughter in all of this?" Wonders Celeste with concern. Sitting to his right, she looks just as magnificent and strong as the king.

"She is not a child anymore. She deserves to know about what is happening in the kingdom she will one day rule, darling."

He motions me to come sit on his left in the chair he asked for and I rush forward with a little smile. He mirrors it and waits for me to be seated comfortably before resuming the meeting.