XIII

"Sometimes we just bump into certain people and suddenly, they become a part of our journey

"Sometimes we just bump into certain people and suddenly, they become a part of our journey."

After a few days of exploring the castle and not doing much aside from trying to avoid my newly assigned "bodyguard", the day of the ball finally came. That morning, I woke up early with a wide smile and the energy of a child.

Since our trip to the city to buy a dress, I had been expecting this day with impatience. And now, sitting on this fancy chair while Joyce is doing my hair, I can't stop moving around in excitement.

"Please stay still, Miss. I'm almost done and then I'll help you put on your dress."

I sigh, trying my best to stay frozen as the woman asked. "I'm sorry Joyce, only, I'm very excited about this ball. Do you know how many guests we are expecting? Oh, and I assume it will be hosted in the ballroom, right?"

Yesterday, during one of my little visits, I stumbled across a giant room with the most beautiful chandeliers I had ever seen. Obviously, it was a ballroom and I couldn't help but stay a little longer, running around and laughing like a wild animal. Much to my embarrassment, the noise attracted a guard nearby and he entered the room ready to fight someone.

"Everything alright, my princess?" He had asked with a clearly confused expression.

"Yes, yes no need to worry. I'm all good," I responded awkwardly with a grimace.

After that, he just walked away and returned to his post while I decided to continue my little tour.

"I'd say there should be around a hundred guests and yes, it will be hosted in the ballroom," the maid kindly responds as she ties one of the braids on my head. "I'm done, Miss."

I stand up from my seat and rush to the cream-colored box on a table in the corner of the bedroom. "Great!" I pull the lid up delicately and take a peek at the mass of purple fabric.

My eyes light up at the sight, getting even more excited than I was before. "I'll help you get it on," Joyce says with her signature smile.

It takes us around ten minutes to put it on because of my inability to stay in place. But now, standing in front of the gold-framed mirror, I watch my reflection with careful eyes and tell myself the struggle was clearly worth it. Never in my whole life have I felt this pretty.

My hair is braided and pinned up on my head. Two strands frame my face and Joyce even added a little purple flower to match my gown. The dress, herself, seems unreal on my body. The corset hugs my breast and the straps fall on my arms, leaving my shoulders exposed. The skirt flows in many layers and ends on the ground, covering my heels. Some shiny details are embedded in the gown, giving me a moon-like glow. It's beautiful. I'm beautiful.

"What do you think?" The blonde asks.

"I love it."

"You look gorgeous, Miss," she says with a sad smile. She looks down, making me turn around.