XXII

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing

"True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing."
-Socrates

When Kian announced his and Celeste's departure, he forgot to mention how quickly it would come. Not only was I not thrilled by the idea at first, but I also had to accept it in an incredibly short amount of time. I spent the last two days following them around, observing their every move in the hope of picking up the most knowledge I could concerning my future duties.

And now, watching the frame of their carriage shrinking with the distance, I have never felt so doubtful of my capacities. I don't blame them for dropping such a weight on my shoulders because, in their head, I grew up surrounded by the responsibilities of being a leader. In their head, they have prepared me for it since my first cry. In their head, I am ready.

For the love of god, what have I gotten myself into? This can't possibly end well, chaos is bound to break out and all of its destruction will be on me.

"My princess?"Lorenzo murmurs in my ear, interrupting my inner panic.

I snap back to reality, turning around to face Lorenzo and our visitors who assisted the king and queen's leaving. "Yes?"

He extends a hand towards the castle, inviting me to lead everyone inside. I nod, clearing my throat awkwardly and walking forward. As usual, Lorenzo falls in step behind me and the rest soon follows.

"Does anyone have any special requests for tonight's dinner?" I ask, more than willing to spare my mind as many seconds of overthinking as I can by occupying it with little talk.

Malcolm jumps forward, swinging himself at my arm. "Can we have some peas?"

I frown at the weirdly specific answer, throwing a glance in Lorenzo's direction as he smiles fondly at Malcolm.

"You can't only eat peas for dinner, dummy," Maeve laughs as she reaches my other side, looping her arm through mine like her brother.

"Don't call me that, you know mom hates it," Malcolm responds with attitude.

"We can have peas next to the main dish," I say, interrupting their bickering. "What about you Jane, sweetheart, is there anything special you would like?"

She throws me one of her angelic smile, her arm looped through her sister's. "Maybe chicken? It would make a good match with Malcom's peas."

"That's a great idea," I tell her, returning her gentle smile. "I'll inform the cooks and then we'll have a few hours to ourselves."

"How about you finally show us the city?" Elizabeth asks with an excited grin.

I hesitate for a moment, debating whether leaving the castle would be a good idea. What if it is under attack while I'm down the hill having fun and discarding the responsibilities that are now mine? I can't imagine how disappointed Kian and Celeste would be. I also planned on searching the libraries for answers about Skia's strange condition. This matter is of the greatest importance in the time being and surely I could miss a little trip for it.