Six

Neither Sidney nor Finnick slept much that night. After all, it was the night before the Games. They mostly talked, laughed, and enjoyed each other's company.

Sidney asked if what Finnick had said at the interviews was real. He replied by saying every word of it was real and for Annie. That put Sidney in a better mood.

They both got a couple hours of sleep eventually, letting exhaustion take them. But they woke up early in the morning. Neither of them got out of bed, though.

Eventually, Sidney forced herself to get up and get ready as she knew an Avox would be there soon to take her and Finnick away.

They both got up and ate a large meal, putting as much food in their stomachs as they could muster. This was their last meal before the Games.

Atala came up in the elevator to talk to the two one last time. Finnick and Sidney knew that this would be the last time they saw each other before flying to the arena. And they wouldn't be allowed to talk at all.

Sidney turned to look at Finnick, trying desperately to hold herself together as the reality of the Games hit her.

Finnick pulled Sidney into a hug, holding onto her as tightly as he could.

"I'll see you in the arena," he spoke. "Okay?"

Sidney nodded as they pulled away. "Good luck."

After putting on the outfit for the arena, Sidney knew what landscape it would be right away. She was given a wet suit, meaning that the arena would definitely have water. That was okay with Sidney because she was a great swimmer, but her last Games were nothing like this.

Sidney walked into the hovercraft to see all of the rest of the tributes there, wearing identified attire to her own. Sidney took her place sitting next to Finnick as the doctors came around and stuck the trackers in their arms. Sidney slightly winced. She forgot how weird it was to see the white light bury itself into her skin.

They soon took off and it seemed to be only a matter of minutes until they arrived outside of the arena. They were all ushered in a building and Finnick and Sidney were quickly split up once again.

Sidney sat in her small room for a while, expecting nobody to come and tucking her necklace with the ring on it under the collar of her suit.

Sidney's silence was interrupted by a voice coming over the speakers in the room, beginning the countdown.

Sidney walked into the glass tube, letting it shut behind her. She turned and faced the motionless Peacekeepers who stood by, one giving a small nod. Sidney nodded back, letting the tube bring her up into the arena.

Sidney felt the heat of the sun and smelling the salt of the water. The large body of water that surrounded her and the other tributes looked deep. This was nothing like her last Games.

Sidney looked around her, seeing the tributes next to her. On her left side was Peeta with a rock path separating them. In her own little section, to her right, was the District Ten male tribute, although Sidney never learned his name.

She looked around, desperately, for Finnick or Johanna but she couldn't see him and assumed he was on the other side of the cornucopia along with Katniss, though spotting Johanna at least five people away on her right. Sidney looked over at Peeta and gave him a small smile and a nod to show him that they were allies. Peeta returned the gesture and both looked straight ahead, back at the cornucopia in front of them.

If Sidney only swam to one of the rocks, then she would most likely be slowed down running by how slippery the water would be. She then decided that she would just swim all the way to the cornucopia as it would take less time.

"FIVE, FOUR, THREE, TWO, ONE." The gunshot sound went off and Sidney leapt from her pedestal and into the water.

A surprising calmness took over Sidney as she swam as fast as she could. Instead of images of her Games flashing before her eyes, images of home replaced them. This was almost worse, however, as this distracted her. She pushed the images away and kicked her legs as fast as she could, nearing the cornucopia.

She grabbed onto the rocky side of the cornucopia and hoisted herself up, trying her best not to slip on the water that was pouring off of her body. She ran up the side and entered the mouth of the cornucopia, finding a long, silver spear. She heard a battle cry from behind her, earning her to turn around as she firmly grabbed the spear.

Sidney saw the District Ten male running at her with an axe. Sidney threw the spear through the air. The spear impaled deep into and out the back of the tribute's neck. He fell to the ground, dead, with blood pooling around him.

A canon went off to symbolize the tribute's death just as Sidney ripped the blade out, getting down on one knee to quickly close their eyes.

"Sid!" Finnick yelled, panicked. Sidney ran through the cornucopia to find Finnick and Katniss. Finnick let out a sigh of relief when he saw Sidney.

"I'm gonna go find Johanna." Sidney spoke before running around the other side of the cornucopia.

Sidney looked everywhere but she couldn't find Johanna, nor Wiress or Beetee. They may have already left the island. A glimmer of light shone off of something that caught Sidney's eyes, a sickle. She grabbed it and threw it onto her belt.

Sidney ran along the rock bridge that was next to her pedestal only to see two figures fight in the water. It was Peeta and the man from District Nine. And the man from District Nine was winning.

Sidney went to work, quickly throwing the spear onto the rocks. She wasted no time as she dove into the water, watching out of the corner of her eye as Finnick and Katniss came running up to her. SIdney opened her eyes, ignoring the sting, as she dove deeper and deeper into the depths of the water. She saw Peeta continue to struggle in the tribute's hold as he was dragged down.

Sidney swam up behind the man from District Nine and saw Peeta had wrapped his arm around the man's neck. He was about to pass out, but so was Peeta.

Sidney took her sickle from her belt and hooked the man in the bottom of the jaw and out the mouth, red water swirling around her and Peeta. She ripped the sickle back out and grabbed Peeta's arm, both of them swimming up to the surface.

Sidney looked down to see the body of the man from District Nine fall into darkness. She didn't like taking his life or the life of the man from District Ten, but she had to keep Peeta, Katniss, and Finnick alive.

Sidney and Peeta broke the surface of the water, taking in deep breaths. Finnick was also in the water, only a few feet from the two.

Relief flooded through Finnick when he saw Sidney as it did for Katniss when she saw Peeta was alive. Katniss made a mental note to forever be grateful to Sidney for saving Peeta.

"Thank you." Peeta smiled at Sidney as they began to swim back to the rock bridge.

"You're welcome." Sidney grinned back at him.