Fourteen

Everything felt wrong, they were exhausted and drained. It was hard, Finnick lost his best friend.

"Tigris, do you remember me?" Cressida said, out of breath. "I'm with Plutarch's underground. We need your help." She continued while Tigris stepped aside and let the remaining people enter her home.

Finnick sat at the corner of the room, tears stained on his cheek. Looking at the necklace he had found in his pocket he assumed Sidney put there after he fell asleep, which only brought tears to his eyes once again.

"Are you okay?" Peeta said softly while placing a hand on Finnick's shoulder.

Finnick shook his head. "No, I don't think so." He whispered, hurt evidence in his voice. "I should have stayed by her side."

"You have to be strong." Gale said.

"Don't." Finnick said through gritted teeth. "Don't tell me that." Gale sighed while standing up and leaving the broken tribute behind. "Seneca Crane helped kill dozens, made it to his thirties." Finnick murmured, then raising his voice to get everyone's attention. "Snow? Still kicking. Peacekeepers, Capitol, all walking around. All the atrocities they've committed . . ."

Finnick harshly swallowed before continuing, half the squad knew where this was going and the other half didn't. "They're alive and well. Sidney, whose never done anything wrong to anybody. She doesn't even get to make it to twenty-four?"

A silence fell over the room as nobody looked up or exchanged anymore looks with one another.

"There is no special mission from Coin." Katniss then spoke, earning the attention from everyone. "There's only my plan. Everyone that's dead is dead because of me. I lied."

"We know. We all knew." Finnick said while sitting next to Peeta.

"The soldiers from Thirteen?" Katniss asked.

"They did, too." Gale responded while looking at his bloodied arm.

"Do you really believe that Jackson thought you had orders from Coin?" Cressida asked Katniss. "She trusted Boggs and he clearly wanted you to go on."

"I never meant for this to happen. I failed. I . . ." Katniss felt a knot forming in her throat. "I killed them. I killed Sidney. I'm sorry, Pollux. I'm so sorry."

"Glimmer, Marvel, Clove, Wiress, Rue." Everyone turned to look to Peeta. "What do all those deaths mean? They mean that our lives were never ours. There was no real life because we didn't have any choice. Our lives belong to Snow and our deaths do, too." He paused to look at Katniss. "But if you kill him, Katniss . . . if you end all of this, all those deaths, they mean something. Cinna, Boggs, Castor, Jackson, Sidney. They chose this. They chose you."

"Mortar shells. It's not ours. Peacekeepers must be shellin'." Cressida said while looking through the window.

"Sun's coming up. There's some small-arms fire." Finnick said standing up and taking his trident. He had a hard night. "Could be Paylor, maybe Lyme." He continued while waking Gale up.

"Rebels are close. This is it." Katniss told the team. They were ready to finish everything that started. They were ready to survive.

"To all Capitol citizens more than a half mile outside the city circle, I am announcing a mandatory evacuation." Snows voice spoke from the speakers all around the Capitol. "Come to the mansion. I am promising you shelter and sanctuary. All refugees, come to my home. And there you will be provided with food, medicine, safety for your children, and you will have my solemn oath to protect you until my dying breath. Our enemy is not like us. They do not share our values. They have never known our comfort and our sophistication. And they despise us for it. Make no mistake. They are not coming to liberate us. They are coming to destroy our way of life. They are coming to bury us." Snow's voice continued.