Eleven

Back on the beach, Katniss sat down next to Johanna. They both stared at Sidney and Finnick, who were sitting in the water together and talking about whatever.

"Who's Annie?" Katniss asked out of curiosity.

"Annie Cresta the girl Sidney volunteered for?" Johanna began, Katniss nodded. "Annie won like, four years- five years ago."

Katniss hesitated. "Is she the one that went a little . . ?"

"Mhm." Johanna nodded, sighing as she stabbed her axe into the sand. "Love is weird."

"I have a plan," Beetee told Johanna, Katniss, and Peeta.

"Finnick! Sidney! Hurry up and get over here!" Johanna yelled at them, Sidney turned around and flipped Johanna up before getting up with Finnick, visibly shocking Peeta a bit.

"I have a plan," Beetee repeated himself. "Where would the careers head to that's safest? The jungle?"

"Jungle's a nightmare." Sidney shook her head.

"Probably here on the beach." Peeta shrugged.

"Then why are they not here?" Beetee asked.

"Because we are," Johanna spoke with strength in her voice. "We claimed it."

"Yeah," Sidney grinned, her chin rested on her hands that were placed on the dull end of her spear, the other side stabbed into the ground. "I love it."

"And if we left they would come?" Beetee asked.

"Or stay hidden in the tree line," Finnick spoke with a nod.

"Which in just over four hours will be soaked from water from the ten o'clock wave." Beetee continued, a small twinkle in his eye. "What happens at midnight?"

"Lightning strikes the tree," Katniss answered, earning a nod from Beetee.

"Here's what I propose," Beetee began. "We leave the beach at dusk. We head to the lightning tree." Beetee pointed in the direction they would go, Sidney following his finger with her eyes to where he was pointing. "That should draw them back to the beach. Prior at midnight we then run this wire from the tree to the water. Anyone in the water or in the damp sand will be electrocuted."

"How do we know that the wire's not gonna burn up?" Johanna asked, crossing her arms.

"Because I invented it," Beetee smirked, Sidnry tried not to let out a laugh at his confidence. "I assure you it won't burn up."

"Well it's better than hunting them down," Johanna nodded, slightly impressed with Beetee's intelligence.

"Yeah, why not," Katniss shrugged. She looked around at the rest of the group. "If it fails no harm done anyway right?"

"Alright," Peeta showed a little smile. "So we try it."

Finnick placed a hand on his hip, the other holding onto his trident for support. "So what can we do to help?" He asked.

"Keep me alive for the next six hours?" Beetee smiled at Finnick. "That would be extremely helpful."

They all nodded as they continued to plan out their moves. They spent a couple of hours deciding who would go with who.

Sidney would go with Johanna and Katniss to wrap the coil around the tree and get it to the beach while Peeta, Finnick, and Beetee would stay at the lightning tree and work there.

Peeta and Katniss went off to speak on their own, which is when Beetee took the opportunity to tell the real plan to Johanna, Finnick, and Sidney.

"Johanna, Sidney," Beetee spoke in hushed tones in case there was a camera and microphone around. "You will protect Katniss with your lives. When you get the opportunity, cut out her tracker."

"Got it." Sidney nodded. Beetee then turned to Finnick.

"Finnick, you and I will protect Peeta and get the coil ready so we can blow the force field. Don't let him out of your sight." Finnick nodded in understanding. "Okay everyone, let's go."

By the time they made it to the lightning tree, night had fallen and the sky was dark and filled with stars. It would've been beautiful if death wasn't lurking around every corner.

Sidney's legs were already very tired by the time they made it to the tree and she was not berry grateful for the fact that she would have to walk with the coil back.

"Let's get started. Typically a lightning strike contains five million jolts of energy," Beetee explained. "We don't wanna be here in the vicinity when this hits. You three girls take this," Beetee handed the coil to Johanna. "Unspool it carefully. Make sure the entire coil is in the water. Understand? Then head to the tree to the two head sector. We'll meet you there." Sidney nodded.

"I'm gonna go with you as a guard," Peeta spoke, already beginning to walk over to the Katniss.

"No, no, no," Beetee shook his head. "You stay. You have to protect me. And the tree."

"No," Peeta argued. "I need to go with Katniss."

Beetee sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose. "There are two careers out there I need you two as guards."

Peeta looked at Finnick then back to Beetee. "Finnick can protect you fine on his own."

"Yeah why can't Finnick, Sidney, and Johanna stay with you," Katniss asked. "Peeta and I will take the coil."

"You all agreed to keep me alive 'til midnight correct?" Beetee asked, slightly annoyed with Peeta and Katniss' arguing.

"It's his plan," Johanna spoke. "We all agreed to it."

"Can you two really not handle being apart from each other for a few hours?" Sidney asked with a brow raised, annoyance painted over her face.

"Is there a problem here?" Finnick asked, walking up behind Beetee.

"Excellent question," Beetee smirked.

"Peeta, if I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't leave Sidney." Finnick placed a hand on Peeta's shoulder, trying to comfort him. But he didn't sound very convincing as he hadn't convinced himself. Finnick didn't think it was safe.

"There's no problem," Katniss' face blanked.

Katniss walked up to Peeta. They kissed, saying their quick goodbyes till midnight.

Finnick moved over to Sidney, the two bringing their right hands together and pulling one another into a tight, one-armed hug. They pulled apart after a few seconds. "I'll see you on the other side." She said with a nod.