Seven

The Star Squad entered the abandoned battlefield, the crumbled buildings left the once bright and flourishing Capitol in mere shambles. It represented nothing more than a ghost town now, but it did not mean they were safe at all. The first hidden pod they encountered was simply put, a whirlwind of fire and explosions triggered by one single arrow shot by Katniss. They caught it on camera for propaganda, so it looked like they were actually engaging in some kind of battle as she tried to get the perfect shot of Katniss' face.

The spear strapped on Sidney's back felt heavy, not in weight but it's presence was holding her down. She itched for something to happen, not a fake shoot to get the troops moving through their pain. No she itched to be useful again, not some sort of prop like she is now. Her eyes flickered back to the bronze-haired man a couple steps ahead of her. His posture was tense, she could see the way his shoulders were pulled back and the clenched fist at his side. They both might have been out of the games for a while before thrown back into the Quarter Quell, but they never have been able to shake their habits.

Her gaze flickered back to her surroundings, a nervous feeling settling in her gut and Sidney silently adjusted the strap holding her spear. She sped up a bit, the feeling of being watched making a shiver crawl up her spine. But she didn't know for sure, her imagination ran wild at this point by just looking around the deserted streets of the Capitol.

"We're setting camp up here." Boggs motioned to the side where a building stood more secure than the others around it. It still looked like its best days were behind it, but like the other building, the bricks were still intact, the only thing really giving away the fact that it was standing in a warzone was the shattered glass on the ground, only some shards still where they belonged.

Soft mumbles of agreement followed and everyone silently followed the man as he stepped inside. When he deemed the perimeter safe, everyone settled down in the dusty room. Sitting down on the ground, Sidney leans her head against the cool surface of the wall and let a huff of air escape her lips. Seconds later, she felt another familiar presence next to her and a warm hand found her cold one and rubbed comforting circles on the rough skin. "How are you holding up?" Finnick asked.

"I don't know. I'm still angry with you." Sidney answered honestly, head turning to look through one of the many broken windows where the sun was slowly settling behind the other buildings. "You?"

"Ask me again tomorrow." Sidney felt Finnick shift beside her, and he carefully rested his head on her shoulder, already exhausted from the long day of aimlessly walking around the remains of the Capitol. "If we're still alive tomorrow." He added in a whisper so only she could hear him.

"We will, and we will for many more tomorrows."

There was a loud rumbling noise that filled the air, leaving everyone immediately on edge. Both Sidney and Finnick pushed themselves up from the ground and joined the others by one of the larger windows.

"Is that Peacekeepers?"

"451 to base. We've got a truck coming in from the south. Over." Lieutenant Jackson stated, speaking into the intercom It took only a couple seconds before someone replied from the other side. "Okay, copy that. Over." She nodded before turning to the group. "Stand down. It's friendly."

Everyone was already walking outside, the group came to a stop a little bit away from the pulled up truck. A man came outside, not even acknowledging them as he went to the back of the truck to retrieve something.

Or better said, someone.

Peeta, accompanied by two other men, approached them in silence before the two of them stopped and Peeta walked on without them, gaze fixated on the ground as he mumbled to himself. "My name is Peeta Mellark, I am from District Twelve."

Gale cocked his gun. "Stop." He demanded forcefully, eyes narrowed on the blonde.

"Hold up, everyone relax." Finnick stepped between the two sides, holding his hands out to both of them.

"What's going on?"

"Shut up, Gale." Sidney murmured in obvious annoyance.

"Jackson." Boggs turned to his second in command, "cuff him." He ordered before completely turning around and going back inside the building.

Sidney watched on intensely and from the corner of her eye, she finally saw Katniss lower her bow.

"Soldier, this is just a precaution until we can get everything straightened out alright." Jackson explained as she cuffed the boy and led him toward the building, closely followed by the others, where Boggs was already talking through the comlink with the base as everyone waited for the man to finish his conversation.

"They want us to add him to the propo. Show that he's on our side now." The man began to explain. "We'll move forward a few blocks tomorrow and shoot the new footage."

"He's not in control of himself." Gale spoke up after a beat of silence.

"Gale, just shut up." Sidney scoffed once again.