15; Baggage from the past.

COMPLETE BOOK CURRENTLY AVAILABLE ON BOTH OKADABOOKS AND SELAR. I WILL FINISH THIS HERE FOR THE SAKE OF THOSE WHO STARTED, THEN TAKE IT DOWN WHEN WE REACH LAST CHAPTER. DON'T SPEAK TO ME AFTERWARDS, I'M UNAVAILABLE. You gerrit?

Sa'id Manse, Abuja.

"It seems I had undermined how all this will actually turn up. This isn't how I expected things to happen."

Inaya's lips slanted upwards into a small, ghost smile. "To be honest, I expected this much though." She shrugged slightly, leaning back on the swivel chair; her eyes fixed on her MacBook through which she is having a video call with the man on the other end.

Chief Rabiu sighed, seeming older than he actually is. Judging from the background, he wasn't at the Force but rather in his home. His outfit seemed casual as well, since he was donning an olive jellabiya with some sort of oyster embroider. He then placed both hands on the table, intertwining his fingers. "I mean; I know they aren't exactly trusting--"

"For valid reasons as well." She cut him off, inserting what she knows he will omit so as to not offend her. "I am a fugitive; and I gave them a hard time for months. You weren't exactly welcoming of me either when I first met you."

His features softened almost immediately, and he was quick to rush out an explanation. "I was quick to judge you without knowing the whole story. But, I do know you mean well now." His eyes were filled to the brim with guilt.

Inaya didn't see any need for it though. As such, she offered him a small smile to lessen the brewing guilt. "But, they don't. And, you don't need to make excuses for me, Chief, or feel that way either." She stated earnestly. Her expression turned austere as she continued. "I have no valid reason for certain things I did, or more like an honorable reason. I did it for my selfish reasons, so it's only right you don't trust me. After all, I am not the most righteous person, and I never claimed to be one."

That is one thing she doesn't deny anywhere. You can try to justify her actions a thousand times, and she will still implicate herself not because she doesn't appreciate it, but because doesn't want anyone defending her.

"—if the day for me to take responsibility comes, I will." She believes in what she does, and she does whatever is necessary even if it isn't in the most legal, and righteous way. But that doesn't mean she will deny the fact and hide behind the glorious image of being a good person. "Let's not dwell on what happened in the past. First things first, we need to handle this case and the subsequent one."

Chief nodded, in agreement to her conclusion. Letting out a small breath, his expression yaw grave. "I'll speak to the team; I will implement my threat if I have to. I get that they have bad blood with you, but we are talking about work now."

Inaya shook her head, "Let them be. I understand where they are coming from, and like I said, I did put them in a difficult position for months. That's not something they can easily get over."

"Still, they should know better than to let anything get in the way of their work. So...what? Just because they don't like you, they won't handle the case as I've instructed? Wannan ma ai maganan banza ne. They are supposed to be professionals and set an example for their subordinates." He could let them off the hook, but this is a matter of life and death. Will they really allow those feelings to stop them from doing their jobs? They can harbor the hatred till eternity if they want, but when work comes, they should focus on it.

"Just because they won't work with me doesn't mean they won't work on the case entirely." Inaya meant it when she told them she would speak to the Chief. She couldn't get a hang of him the minute she returned home, and only got to the so hours afterwards when he saw the missed call and decided to ring her up. "I'm sure they will handle it in their own way."