31; Too good to be true.

Tukur Bamai Residence, Abuja.

Rukayya trudged back into her home with shoulders slightly sagged and lips set into a deep frown. She absentmindedly made her way towards the living room—the crease between her brows serving as evidence of something bothering her. Her actions were almost robotic, it continued as such due to her straying mind.

"Oh, she's home already." The sound of a familiar voice snapped back into reality. Her mother's warm voice filling the otherwise stilled surrounding to her. "Rukayya, guess who came to visit us today?"

Blinking out of the trance of thoughts she found herself immersed in, she looked up only to realize she had reached the living room and was subjected to three pair of eyes on her.

Her gaze shifted from her parents to the guest with them—a person she is quite familiar with. Normally, she's almost always happy to see him. In that moment though, her heartbeat accelerated instead; her throat suddenly parched.

Still, she forced her lips to slant into a small, queasy smile. "Uncle Kari." She acknowledged, taking a few steps further into the living room only to settle on the carpet by her mother's feet—facing her father as well as his good friend.

Aadil's father, Inspector General Bashir Kari smiled back—an action that only a few people in the world get to see. It was reserved for people he's keen on only—and it just so happens Rukayya is one of them. "How are you?" He inquired warmly, in a tone that only a few are accustomed to as well.

Certainly, he holds his friend's daughter dear to him; reason being, he can't think of a perfect partner for his son other than her. She is everything he wants in a daughter-in-law. In fact, she is everything his son isn't.

She's perfect. Not to mention, she comes from one of the best families there is out there. How could she not be the best he could think of?

Her smile widened slightly, though her stomach was in knots. "I'm fine, Alhamdullilah." She fiddled with her fingers slightly. "I was actually thinking of paying a visit to you as well."

The man's brows drew in almost instantly. "Toh fa. Lafiya?"

Rukayya's nervous eyes shifted from him, to her parents whom are patiently watching the exchange between the two. They are used to it at this point—those two get along so well; that's why they are little qualms about giving her hand in marriage to Aadil Kari—with her consent as well.

Regardless, they know she will be in safe hands by the will of Allah.

Her smile wavered slightly when she met his gaze. "It's...about work." She added in a low tone.

"That's our cue to give them the room." Her mother teased, shifting her attention to her husband who simply shook his head.

"The last thing I want is to hear about the Forces. I deal with enough at work." Announced Chief Justice Tukur Bamai, as he pushed himself off the sofa and got on his feet—just in time his wife did so as well.

"Dinner will be ready in a short while. I'll be back to let you know when." With that said by Rukayya's mother, the two older couple left them alone to converse about the one thing they are always on about—work.

"You said you wanted to talk to me about something, right?" Inquired Inspector General Kari, offering her a small, warm smile. "Go ahead, feel free to say it." He added in an encouraging tone.

Rukayya darted her tongue to wet her lips, her head downcast. Her mind races at the thought of the exact words to use, and when she eventually picked them out, she lifted her head—her determined eyes clashing with his. "It's Aadil." She chose to start with that, before blowing out a small breath. "He...he doesn't seem like himself these days."