Chapter 8: Anything

Cold air nipped at my bare skin once I stepped out onto the roof. It was quite refreshing; reminding me of the mountains I visited back home....

Home was a word I never thought I would have to think about. It was always in the same one story house with the swing set in the back. The one with the huge backyard chickens running around chasing bugs. The one I played tag with my family all those years ago. The one I returned to after tennis practice and slept my problems away. The one I- 'Stop it!' I yelled at myself holding my head.

'Dang this is why I can't go outside!' Standing up quickly I turn back to the open window. I was halfway inside when I saw the door handle start to turn. I gasped and fell to the floor trying to rush to my cage.

"Oh my Yoki!" Auntie whispered coming towards me. "Are you alright sweetie?" She asked worriedly while helping me up.

"Yah I'm alright."

"What were you doing at the window? How did you get out of the crib?"

"I umm just was... getting some fresh air, yes fresh air is good for the lungs," I said, smiling nervously with my little hands on my hips. I know it is not the greatest idea to lie to a ninja let alone a Uchiha. But what is done is done.

She looked at me worriedly but smiled once more. "I guess you are right. How about I teach you how to cook." I pumped my baby hands in the air while saying yes. She lifted me up and took me out to the hallway. Unlike our house which was completely destroyed, their house looked just fine. Only a few windows and roofs were damaged, nothing compared to the surrounding houses. 'No wonder they thought they were suspicious. Looks like the 9-tails avoided the compound.'

"Alright Yoki, wash your hands while I get the ingredients. We are going to make some rice."

~~~~

There is one thing I could never do back then and that is to make the perfect rice. Back in the old Covid days I would eat mostly rice and noodles. I have perfected the art of noodle making but not the rice. Well that was the case till now.

"Gah what the how is this possible!" I yelled pointing at the beautiful rice. Auntie chuckled, lifting me off the counter.

"Well you can do anything if you put your mind to it."

"Anything?" I questioned the smiling woman.

"Anything."