Chapter Two: The Gala

In just a few short hours, the two were ready to go, dawned in red dresses and accessories, they hopped into Diane's small car and drove off to the gala. Once they parked, two large cops began to lead them around the building.

"Okay, here's the game plan." Diane clapped as they walked, catching (Y/n)'s attention. "I'm going to drop you off with the Professor while I do some governor work," Diane crossed her eyes and used a deep voice on the word 'governor' to make (Y/n) giggle. "Then we're gonna head to our table, eat, and mingle, I'll set out a coloring book and crayons for you. I'll do my speech, give the award, then we'll go home, eat all of the cake, and watch cartoons until the sun comes up. How's that?" Diane asked, holding a hand out for (Y/n).

"I like that." (Y/n) confirmed.

The small group got to the front of the building, where Professor Marmalade was being introduced by Tiffany Fluffit, an annoyingly loud reporter. Diane and (Y/n) gave a small wave to the Professor, who grinned and said a polite, "Excuse me." He jogged towards the two with a smile.

"Diane! Wonderful to see you again! And (Y/n), that is a marvelous dress!" Marmalade complimented.

"Thank you." (Y/n) smiled shyly.

"Thank you, again for watching her Professor. I swear, just a few last-minute checks and greetings and I'll be right back." Diane promises.

"It's no trouble at all, Diane! Plus, I'm sure (Y/n) would love to see her birthday present." Marmalade grinned.

"Yes, please!" (Y/n) grinned as well.

Diane smiled and walked away as Marmalade presented a small box. He gave it to (Y/n), who opened it excitedly.

"It's an M Watch! Short for Marmalade Watch, you can call anyone you want, play games, text, and all of that exciting stuff! Do you love it?!" Marmalade asked the young fox with a grin on his face.

(Y/n) held her tongue and gave a small smile. "I love it!"

Marmalade's smile seemed to grow even bigger before he jumped. "Oh! Let me help you put it on! It already has three phone numbers, your Aunt's, mine, and my assistant's, Mr. Cuddles." Marmalade gestured to the tall man standing next to him then helped (Y/n) put on her new watch.

Mr. Cuddles gave a small wave with his massive hand, which (Y/n) returned with her much smaller paw.

"Well, now that that's settled, let's wander a bit and mingle. Shall we?" Marmalade asked before walking ahead, leading (Y/n) inside the building. They had made their way to the second floor, where Marmalade was describing all of the art to (Y/n).

Marmalade was looking around the museum before he stopped suddenly. "I believe I need to use the little gentleman's room! Cuddles, would you please lead Ms. (Y/n) to the dining room? I'll meet you both there!" Marmalade called before rushing downstairs to the bathrooms.

(Y/n) blinked at Marmalade's sudden exit. Mr. Cuddles nudged (Y/n) slightly, then the two continued walking. They made their way to a large set of stairs, Mr. Cuddles a few steps behind (Y/n). (Y/n) saw the red carpet on the stairs between the two large white sections and ran to the carpet. She held up her arms for balance, not noticing a certain wolf behind her.

Wolf, having snuck into the Good Samaritan Awards with his team to steal the Golden Dolphin Award, had spotted (Y/n)'s brand-new watch while he was on the stairs. He subtly walked behind (Y/n) and slowly reached for her watch.

"Like stealing candy from a..."

Unfortunately for both of them, (Y/n) had the gracefulness that only a seven-year-old possesses and tripped on a loose piece of the carpet.