Chapter Four: One Last Chance

Back at Marmalade's house, (Y/n) heard the front door open and slam close from her spot on the tree.

"Marmalade!" Diane's voice echoed through the house.

(Y/n) winced and looked back at her watch, unpausing her game.

"Marmalade, if you're here and not answering me-! Oh, I'm gonna..." Diane began muttering and stomping through the house.

A limousine pulled up to the house and the Bad Guys, plus Marmalade, exited the car.

Marmalade noticed the black car parked in front of the door. "Oh, Diane is already here...wonderful..." Marmalade smiled through gritted teeth, then turned to face the Bad Guys. "Why don't you head inside, I'll see if I can't talk to her." Marmalade quickly walked inside, prompting the Bad Guys to do the same.

The Bad Guys followed Marmalade through the house before coming to the fireplace room. They were about to leave the room when an 'Ahem' echoed through the room. They all turned and stood bashfully and awkwardly in front of the furious governor.

"'Trespassing, burglary, mayhem, assault with a deadly reptile'?" Diane read from the newspaper from today. "As if those poor rodents haven't been through enough already!" Diane hit the newspaper, gesturing to the story.

"No, Diane. Please." Marmalade begged.

"Whoo! Okay. I'm sorry, Professor, but I'm calling the Chief." Diane dropped the newspaper on the ground and stormed to the entrance.

"Please. Come on." Marmalade chased after Diane.

"This experiment is over." Diane finished.

"Experiments take time." Marmalade tried to make excuses.

"Nope, you had time, this was it. The gala is tomorrow. Now, where's (Y/n)?" Diane asked, ears pinned back to her head.

"Outside, but--" Marmalade pointed towards the patio, but Diane walked in that direction before he could finish.

Marmalade looked at Diane in worry before seeing Wolf run by. 'Maybe there's still hope.' Marmalade thought with a small smile on his face.

"Madam Governor. Diane." Wolf called, sliding on the tile to reach Diane.

"Do not Clooney me, Wolf," Diane ordered.

"Oh, I see what's going on. You think I'm still a bad guy trying to bamboozle my way to freedom, but we've changed. That flower of goodness is blossoming all over the place." Wolf winked.

Diane sighed and rolled her eyes. "Don't you ever get tired of lying?"

"No," Wolf said with a chuckle. He realized what he said and stuttered, "I mean...Fudge. That was a trick question, right?" Wolf caught up with Diane as the two made their way to the patio.

Diane sighed and her ears stood up straight. "I gave you an opportunity. A chance to show the world that you're more than just a scary stereotype, but..." Diane hit Wolf across the chest, "You're too proud or too gutless to take advantage of it." Diane pushed Wolf's chest slightly.

"Gutless? I'm gutless? Oh-ho-ho! I'm sorry, have we met?" Wolf held out his hand as if introducing himself, "I'm the villain of every story. Guilty until proven innocent. Even if by some miracle we did change," Wolf pointed at Diane, causing her to fold her arms and smirk, "who's gonna believe us, huh? Of course, you wouldn't know anything about that with your Little-Miss-Perfect power suits." Wolf mocked Diane.

"Is that so?" Diane twirled her hand around, revealing her ring which she stole from Wolf, who stole it from (Y/n) at the gala.

"Wait a second, what did...How did you..." Wolf patted himself down, looking for the ring.