Chapter Six: The Gala

Sleep didn't come easy to Snake or (Y/n), but the night passed. Marmalade gave the Bad Guys their own suits for the gala, each tailor-made for them. When the time came, the Bad Guys, Marmalade, and Mr. Cuddles piled into the limousine. Marmalade and Mr. Cuddles took the front seats, while the Bad Guys took the private seats in the back. (Y/n) decided earlier that she wanted Diane to pick her up and take her to the gala. She left without talking to the Bad Guys.

Moments before arriving at the gala, Wolf decided to go over the plan one more time with his friends.

"All right, guys, this is the big one. The Golden Dolphin is inside a titanium case controlled by a randomly generate five-digit code--a code kept safe and secure inside a briefcase handcuffed to the chief of police."

"She's not messin' around," Piranha remarked.

"The code is only accessible with her authorized fingerprints." Wolf continued.

"Leave that to me," Snake confirmed.

"While Snake gets the code, Shark will secure the fake Dolphin."

"I like the sound of that." Shark grinned.

"Meanwhile, the rest of us plant circuit jammers."

"Allowing me to hack into the power grid." Webs added.

"At the end of the night, we toast the professor--Blah-blah-blah, yada yada...and when I say 'Marmalade,' the lights go out, and we'll have exactly four seconds to make our move."

"The ol' switcheroo." Snake nodded.

"Chief hands Marmalade the fake Dolphin. We get our pardon. Applause, applause, exit stage right, and by the time they realize what happened...we'll be drivin' off into the sunset, legacy cemented." Wolf finished.

The others laughed. "Got to hand it to you, buddy. You're a real artist." Snake congratulated, feeling a pang of guilt in his gut. The pin that (Y/n) gave him felt heavy in his suit pocket.

Wolf leaned back into his chair with a smile. The group felt the limousine stop and the passenger door opened, revealing Marmalade.

"Well, Good Guys, this is it. Good luck out there. Remember, all eyes will be on you tonight, not me." Marmalade told them.

The Bad Guys, or rather the Good Guys, stepped out of the limousine and were met with a crowd of people.

"Friends, meet the Good Guys!" Marmalade introduced, causing the five to smile awkwardly.

There was a pause before a large eruption of applause rang out. The crowd cheered and clapped, surprising the previously notorious group.

"Uh, this is different," Snake spoke up wearily.

"Is this a prank?" Piranha asked Shark while sitting in his hand.

"What's that sound? Like screaming, but not terrified." Shark remarked.

"All right, guys. Let's uh...Let's mingle." Wolf said, walking into the crowd.

"It's crime time, baby." Webs grinned, adjusting her suit.

The Good Guys walked into the crowd, unaware of Diane and (Y/n) just backstage.

Diane was wearing a blue pantsuit with a cape attached to the waist, disguising her outfit as a dress. (Y/n) was wearing a blue suit with a light blue heart clip in her hair to match Diane.

Diane was straightening (Y/n)'s outfit before she noticed the disheartened look on her face. "What's wrong?" She placed her hands on (Y/n)'s cheeks, tilting her head up to look into her eyes.