* Chapter 28 *

XXVIII. • °

Before I could even stomach what I had just read I hear faint knocks at the front door. I slowly forced myself off the ground and unlocked the bathroom door heading downstairs near the front door. Through the glass, I saw a tall silhouette standing there and then I heard the knock again.

I traced my hand over the doorknob before unlocking it and pulling it open. There standing there was Silas, our eyes met immediately. His arm was leaning up against the doorframe so when the door swung open we were closely face to face. His eyes glistened as he scanned my face and looked me up and down."So, you can't answer any of my texts?"

"I got your texts-"

"But no response?" He interrupted tilting his head to the side.

"I wasn't...talking to anyone. I just needed time." I answer looking away from him. "What are you doing here?"

"You weren't at school again today, and you didn't answer any of my texts. When I first got there, I was looking for you. When I saw Nadia and Tess and you...weren't with them it was clear to see that you weren't there again."

"Silas-"

"Then Nadia for some reason pulled me to the side and told me to come and check on you and that she didn't want you to be alone."

I folded my arms together looking back over at him. "So you only came because Nadia was worried?"

His look became serious, but his presence was still soft as he stood there. "I came because I wanted to check on you, and even if she didn't mention it to me I would have still come." He says letting out a slight breath. "And I was confused when she did ask me to come because I know you said you didn't speak to her or want her to know about what those sick bastards did."

"This morning...Tess found your clothes in the corner when we were cleaning up. I had forgotten that I wore them and I carelessly threw them around, I'm sorry."

"Sorry? For what?"

"For not being careful, that they knew I was with you."

"Josie," He paused leaning up from against the doorframe. "I don't care if they knew, I'm just happy that, I knew you were going to be safe when you left me."

"Thank you, Silas."

"So..."

"What?"

"Are you still upset with me for what I said-"

"No, I realized that you actually weren't...being a jerk. That you were really trying to help like when..." I trailed off as my eyes began to wander around looking at anything but him at that moment.

"Like when?"

I took a deep breath holding it for a bit before letting it out. "Like when the day my dad's friend..."

"You don't have to finish that, but I couldn't look at you that way and not be of assistance."

"I...Thank you."

"Yeah..."

"Well, thanks for stopping by I'm uh...going to clean up a bit before they come home," I say with a slight smile before slowly closing the door, but he pushes his hand up against the door, stopping it.

"You know, it is hot out today and I was going to get some ice cream and...I wanted to know if you would come with me."

"You're asking me to get...ice cream with you?" I ask him with my eyebrows slightly beginning to raise.

He let off a smirk seemingly as if he was holding in a laugh. "Yes Josie, I'm asking you to get ice cream with me, and I would really like it if you would just agree because I'm kinda standing in the sun right now."