The Engagement

Hedhran and Niharika's  engagement ceremony passed in a blur. For the very first time, Hedhran Bajaj was seen wearing something other than his usual grey or black three piece suits. He had worn a bottle green kurta.He was informed that Niharika was wearing a bottle green saree. Hence his family insisted him  to wear the same colour. The colour was more or less forced on him. Initially, he was agitated at her choice, he felt like the colour made him look like an undone Christmas tree. He was damn certain that she had chosen that colour  just to vex him. But his irritation disappeared the moment he saw Niharika walking down the stairs, looking as beautiful as ever.

While everyone was busy applauding her beauty, Hedhran simply stared at her as he always did

 "Wow

"Wow. Bhabhi, you look so pretty."

"Thank you, Harsh"

"Leave him and marry me. You know, I am the more handsome one"

"Shut up Harsh".Hedhran glared at his brother.

" I was just joking, I am not going to steal your bride".

"As if you could. "

"Stop it you too!!! " Hema said playfully.

"Settle down everyone, it's time for the ritual" Laxman called out.

And almost an hour later,  the deed was done. Niharika  and Hedhran were engaged. She studied the big diamond ring, now shining brightly on her ring finger.

"Doesn't it look a bit heavy? " She asked the man sitting beside her. None other than one she was engaged to. Much to her shock, the man in question actually responded.

"I don't think you are talking about the ring. Are you? "

"I guess I am not" She said, her eyes still on the ring rather than on the person beside her.

"You know, you can't back out now. You are irrevocably trapped".

" I know" She sighed.

"What are you two mumbling? " Nandhini asked taking a seat beside her elder son.

"Nothing important" Hedhran answered for them both.

"Oh. Sorry for the intrusion but I must steal  Niharika  away for a moment. I have something important to discuss with her. Also you have an entire lifetime to continue with this mumbling".

Both Hedhran and Niharika royally ignored the last part of the statement and  focussed solely on the first.

"What is it? " Hedhran asked.

"You don't have to know.  It doesn't concern you. It's between my daughter in law  and me" Nandhini said.

"Everything that involves her is my concern" Hedhran replied.

"If I said it is not your concern, then it's definitely not. And don't irritate me, unless you want to be smacked in  head by your mother, right in front of your bride. " Nandhini said earning a a loud chuckle from Niharika. Hedhran shifted his attention from his mother to his future wife and glared at her. Niharika chuckled more. Nandhini  amusingly watched the odd couple in front of her, one was glaring and the other one was chuckling. No one in this whole world dared to laugh at her son's glare. Well except for her daughter in law she thought.

"Come Niharika, let's have a chat" Nandhini said to her. Niharika led her future mother in law to her room , far away from the ears of the brooding Hedhran Bajaj.

                      *****

Once inside the room, Niharika tensely looked in Nandhini's direction.
Sensing her anticipation and nervousness, Nandhini smiled at her.

"Don't worry Niha, I just wanted to give you this" Nandhini said pushing an oval shaped box towards her.

"What is it? "

"See it for yourself".

Niharika opened the box. It had two beautiful bangles inside it. From the looks of it, it seemed quite old and expensive.

'It's a special treasure. It is for the eldest daughter in laws of the Bajaj family. It used to be mine. Maya maa gave it to me during my engagement. She gave it to me in private, just like  I am giving it to you now. It's yours now!!! You are going to be the eldest daughter in law of our family. "

" Well thank you, it's beautiful " Niharika said.

"It's just not a jewellery piece, it symbolises your responsibility towards the family. "

"Oh"

"Don't feel burdened by it.  Just accept it. You will feel better" Nandhini said.

"I will try my best to accept it"

She meant it.  She pledged at that moment that she would never compromise with her duties in the Bajaj family. Even if it's just for two years.

"Good. Now let's go. They would be looking for us".

                  *******

Both Nandhini and Niharika soon joined others  in the living room. Seeing Niharika, Hedhran raised his eyebrows. Niharika was too much acquainted with his minute expressions that she knew very well what each one of them meant. Sighing, she went to him.

"She just wanted to give me some bangles"

"Just that? "Hedhran eyed her suspiciously.

"Yes".

"Hmm"

"Hmmm"

"You should come by office tomorrow to put in your resignation. "

"So fast?"

"You will be busy the coming days with shopping and other stuffs. You won't have time later".

" Oh"

"You don't want to? "

"I don't have a choice. Right? "

"Right". Hedhran confirmed.