The Wedding

Two weeks prior to the wedding was quite hectic for Niharika. The wedding spree kept her really busy. Her days were filled with laughter, jokes and playful pranks ,all perks of joining the Bajaj  family. Two weeks with the Bajajs made her really close to the family. She was particularly more closer to the younger Bajajs, Harsh, Hiya and Siya. They practically followed her everywhere like love sick puppies. As for her groom, he had done her a  huge favour by making himself as scarce as possible. At first, she was very angry at him for not accompanying her for the shopping. As a revenge, she had even intended to choose a pink kurta for him. But thinking about the consequences,she instantly dropped the idea. She knew that he would literally kill her if she made him wear something  that colour. He hated  pink. Niharika once had a  fluffy pink pen. Hedhran used to get irritated just by its sight. For that sole reason, she used to carry it everytime with her.

Reminiscing all those things, She sat in front of the mirror all dolled up for her marrige. It was eight in the morning. The muhurtham (auspicious time) for the wedding was nine. Like every other bride, she was also experiencing some wedding jitters. But in her case it was a bit  too severe.
In a hour, she would be Mrs Hedhran Bajaj. That thought terrified her to the core.

"Oh my god" She mumbled.

"What are you mumbling" Her best friend Devika asked.

"Oh.. No.. Nothing"

"Don't worry. It will be fine."

"Ya." She said distracted.

"I don't understand. What are you even terrified of? It's not like you are having an arranged marriage or something. You are going to marry someone you love."

Love!! My foot. She thought.

"Or atleast someone you claim to be in love with" Devika said with a suspicious look on her. Niharika knew that her best friend  was not completely convinced by her love story. She had her doubts. Devika was a very persistent girl. Entertaining her doubts would only cause a havoc.  She needed to pull herself together or else she would end up spoiling the whole thing.

"I am just terrified of leaving my family" She said

Atleast that wasn't a lie.

"It's not like you are going abroad . It's just a small distance. You will be fine. Relax" Devika hugged her from the side.

"Yaa"

" Now cheer up. You will be called to the mandap(auditorium) very soon. "

                       *******

It was quarter to eight in the morning . Hedhran sat cross legged infront  of the holy fire completely distracted. The priest was reciting something but he didn't quite catch it. His mind was some where else. The ritual had already started and they haven't still called Niharika. He was sitting there dressed all funny while she was doing God knows what inside. Is she still sleeping? He thought.
Right at that moment, the priest said  something to Niharika's father who soon disappeared from the room and   a few minutes later   returned  with his daughter. Niharika was walking towards the mandap holding her fathers hand, while some girls walked in front of her holding  golden coloured plates with flowers . Hedhran stood their frozen at the sight of his bride. Beside him he heard his grandmother say

"Our Niha is looking so pretty. Isn't she Hedhran? "

Hedhran didn't respond. He was busy staring at her.

"Who are you asking dadi? Ask me instead? " Harsh nudged Maya.

"Isn't she pretty? " Maya asked Harsh