MATA LAKSHMI

Laxmi;  She is the goddess of wealth, good luck, youth and beauty

Laxmi; She is the goddess of wealth, good luck, youth and beauty. She is the consort of Lord Vishnu who has taken many avatars the most popular of which are Krishna and Sri Rama. This pair is also often worshiped as Lakshmi-Narayan. Mata Lakshmi is one of the most popular goddess of Hindu mythology and she is also known as the goddess of wealth and purity. Lakshmi is also called the daughter of Durga Mata.

For Hindus, Goddess Lakshmi is a symbol of good fortune. The word Lakshmi is derived from the Sanskrit word Lakshya, meaning "aim" or "goal", and in Hinduism, she is the goddess of wealth and prosperity, both material and spiritual.

Whenever Mahavishnu incarnates on earth in human form, Lakshmi incarnates with him and plays her part in restoring Dharma. When Lakshmi:

1) Incarnated as Padma when Vishnu incarnated on earth as Vamana
2) As Dharani when he incarnated as Parashurama
3)As Sita when he incarnated as Rama
4) As Rukmini when she incarnated as Krishna

Maa Lakshmi's vehicle owl

Owl is the most intelligent nocturnal animal. The owl already gets the knowledge of past and future. Owl is considered a symbol of auspiciousness and wealth in Indian culture. It wakes up when the whole world is sleeping. It rotates its neck up to 170 degrees. It does not make the sound of wings while flying in the night and its eyes never blink. The hoo hoo hoo pronunciation of an owl is a mantra.

How the owl became the vehicle of Lakshmi: After creating the animal world, one day all the gods and goddesses came to roam the earth. When the animals and birds saw him roaming on the earth, they all gathered and went to him and said that we are blessed to have been born by you. We will take you wherever you want on earth. Please choose us as your vehicle and thank us.

The gods and goddesses obeyed him and started choosing him as their vehicle. When Lakshmiji's turn came, she was confused as to which animal or bird to choose as her vehicle. Meanwhile, there was a competition among animals and birds to become Lakshmiji's vehicle. Here, Lakshmiji was thinking and thinking, till then a fight started between animals and birds.

On this, Lakshmi ji silenced him and said that every year on the day of Kartik Amavasya, I come to roam the earth. That day I will make one of you my vehicle. On the day of Kartik Amavasya, all the animals and birds started staring at the path of Lakshmiji. As soon as Lakshmiji came to the earth at night, the owl saw him with his sharp eyes in the dark and reached near him at a fast speed and started praying to him to accept me as his vehicle.

Lakshmiji looked around and did not see any animal or bird there. So he accepted the owl as his vehicle. Since then they are called Uluk Vahini.