MAA MANSA

At a distance of about three kilometers from Haridwar, there is a famous temple of Maa Mansa Devi in Bilwa mountain of Shivalik hills

At a distance of about three kilometers from Haridwar, there is a famous temple of Maa Mansa Devi in Bilwa mountain of Shivalik hills.  Devotees come here with their wishes.  It is believed that the mother definitely fulfills the wishes of every devotee who comes here.  This temple of Maa Mansa located in Haridwar is one of the 51 Shaktipeeths.

To reach the temple on foot, one has to climb a steep climb of about one and a half kilometer.  Apart from this, the temple can also be reached through cable car (Udankhatola), car or bike etc.  Apart from Haridwar, there are temples of Mansa Devi in Alwar, Sikar, Kolkata, Sitamarhi of Bihar etc. in Rajasthan.

Whoever reaches the door of Maa Mansa Devi fulfills all the wishes of those devotees.  The meaning of the name of the mother is the one who fulfills the wishes.  Manasa means 'desire'.  Coming to the temple of Maa Mansa, people tie a sacred thread to the branch of a tree here to fulfill their wishes, and after the wish is fulfilled, they come back again and untie the thread and seek the blessings of Maa Mansa.

One of the three daughters of Lord Shiva is also named Manasa.  She is considered to be the step daughter of Goddess Parvati.  Like Kartikeya, Goddess Parvati also did not give birth to Manasa.  According to mythology, Maa Manasa was born when Lord Shiva's semen touched the idol of Kadru (mother of snakes).

That's why Manasa is called Manas daughter of Lord Shiva.  According to mythological religious texts, Maa Manasa was born from the head of sage Kashyap.  Kashyap Rishi's wife's name is Kadru.  There is no mention of Mansa being the daughter of Shiva in the texts, but Mansa received education from Shiva.

Being neglected by her father, step mother and husband, mother Manasa's nature is angry.  But the mother is always happy with the devotees who worship the mother with a true heart.  Manasa Devi sits on a snake and a lotus.  However, at some places he has been shown sitting on a swan.  It is said that 7 snakes are always present in the protection of Mata.

Because of sitting on a snake, she is also called the goddess of snakes.  According to folk tales, people worship Maa Mansa for the treatment of snakebite.  Her son Astik is sitting in the lap of the mother.  It is said that one of the names of Manasa is Vasuki.  Being the sister of Vasuki, the son of Kadru and Kashyap, mother Manasa was also named Vasuki.  Vasuki is the name of Lord Shiva's neck.