MAA ASHOK SUNDARI

According to Padmapurana, Ashok Sundari is Devkanya

According to Padmapurana, Ashok Sundari is Devkanya. Actually, Ashok Sundari was created by a tree named Kalpavriksha to remove the loneliness of Mother Parvati. Once Mother Parvati asked Lord Shiva to go to the most beautiful garden in the world. Then Lord Shiva took his wife Parvati to Nandanvan. There the mother got attached to the Kalpavriksha and she came to Kailash with that tree.

Kalpavriksha is a wish fulfilling tree. To overcome her loneliness, Parvati asked the tree for a boon that she would get a girl child. Then Ashok Sundari was born from Kalpavriksha. Mother Parvati gave a boon to that girl that she would be married to a powerful youth like Devraj Indra.

Due to the effect of this boon, once Ashok Sundari was wandering in Nandanvan with her maids, when a demon named Hund came there. Who got fascinated by the beauty of Ashoka Sundari and proposed marriage to Ashoka Sundari.

But Ashok Sundari told about her boon and marriage that she would be married to Nahush only. Hearing this, the demon said that he would kill Nahusha. Hearing this, Ashok Sundari cursed the demon that you will die at the hands of Nahush, you evil. Hearing this, the demon got scared. Then he abducted Prince Nahush. But Nahusha was saved by a maidservant of the demon Hund.

In this way Nahusha grew up in the hermitage of Maharishi Vashishtha and killed Hund. After this Nahush and Ashok Sundari got married. After marriage, Ashok Sundari gave birth to brave sons like Yayati and hundred beautiful girls. Yayati was one of the Chakravarti emperors of India and ruled the whole of India with his five sons. The names of his five sons were- 1. Puru, 2. Yadu, 3. Turvas, 4. Anu and 5. Dru. He has been called Panchananda in the Vedas.