Chapter Two: Reunited

Saylor's POV:

"Emerson?" I ask.

"Hey, princess." Emerson says, her voice sounding raspier than I remember.

It's been almost five years since I last saw her and Emerson doesn't look like Hadley's 'little' sister anymore. Her long brunette curls cascade down the sides of her much more mature face. Her features stronger and more defined as the years have gone by, it's almost hard to believe it's her.

"Hey." I say hesitantly as I take her in.

Physically, she's not built like a twig anymore either. She looks like she's been hitting the gym, on the regular and filled out her frame.

She's attractive... I mean, she always has been, but she's so different now. I feel as my stomach knots up in nerves when she gets closer to us.

"Hey, Emmy." Hadley says teasingly with a devious smirk.

I watch Emerson's sharp jaw tense at the mention of her nickname. She's always hated that nickname and Hadley uses it on purpose, just to piss Emerson off.

"Hadley." I warn softly.

"I asked you not to use that nickname." Emerson states, annoyance filling her tone.

Not another word is muttered as their parents suddenly exit the house.

The girls both have a perfect mix of their two parents. Emerson getting her mom's curls, but her dad's brunette hair and Hadley getting her dad's waves, but her mom's honey blonde hair. Hadley got her dad's eyes and Emerson got her mom's, both girls sharing an equal amount of their facial features.

"Saylor!" Their mother exclaims, completely ignoring the fact that she has a daughter right behind me that just came home as well.

"Hey." I say weakly, turning my head slightly to see Emerson's face sadden at the lack of acknowledgement in my peripheral.

Emerson has always been the quiet child. She often didn't engage too much in conversation or like to be in the center of attention, though I don't know if there was much room for her to have either of those things when you have a sister like Hadley.

Scott and Kelly wrap their arms around me, Hadley finally acknowledging her sister and giving her a hug as well. My heart almost breaks at the visible pain seen on Emerson's face as she watches her family celebrate my arrival, completely ignoring hers.

Last I heard, Emerson came out and instantly moved far from here. Hadley never told me much about her parents reaction to the admission, but according to my parents... they didn't take it well.

Emerson kept her life low-key and Hadley never really talks about her. I knew she came home for holidays, but it was always very quick, one to two day visits at most, which is why I rarely saw her when she was home. The most I had heard about her life since she left was that she had met a girl, they moved in with each other, and none of the family members approved of her.

Hadley rarely liked attention being directed away from her, unless it was to bash others, so that's how I found out about her girlfriend in the first place... because of Hadley's strong distaste for the girl.

I wasn't surprised by Emerson's coming out. I feel like everyone knew and often joked about her dating her best friend because of how close they were to each other. Hadley was always quick to squash these rumors, but deep down I think she knew too and maybe was even the first person Emerson came out to.

Hadley and Emerson had a fairly normal sisterly bond in the sense that the two hated each other, but also adored each other. Hadley always kept our friends off Emerson's back and away from becoming the school's punching bag, along with my help. I always had a soft spot for Emerson, even though she rarely talked to me and ignored me every time I came to the house.