Chapter Eighteen: The Sleepover

Saylor's POV:

Last night, the girls had their book readathon. We all stayed up extremely late and we aren't young like we used to be. We don't bounce back so fast after being up late and we were definitely feeling the consequences of those actions today.

I groggily wake, sitting up and stretching to exercise the sleep from my body. I look to the side of me, Hadley still fast asleep as drool escapes from her lips and onto the pillow below her, causing me to laugh slightly at the sight.

Emerson didn't join us for the horror readathon, nor did she stay the night at the cabin. She hid all her belongings in a closet within the cabin and decided she would be better off staying the night with Tate, to avoid awkwardness with Peyton and Hadley.

I agreed, spending too much time around each other in front of them is far too risky, and just the little bit of time I've spent with her so far has earned me the cold shoulder treatment from Peyton.

Peyton refuses to acknowledge me or talk to me. It's been incredibly awkward and the girls are noticing it, but when they ask what's going on, neither of us can answer. She has no proof that anything is happening between Emerson and I, and according to Emerson, she never told any of the girls they were ever a thing. The only person that knew about them was Hadley and Hadley trusts me far too much to make the assumption right now, so she has no way to properly explain her irritation with me and I just play dumb.

I tap Hadley's shoulder, "Hads, it's 11."

Hadley groans, "stop touching me."

I chuckle slightly before laying on top of her, "you mean like this?"

Hadley squirms as she groans once again, "Saylor, get the fuck off of me."

I lay my body limp on top of her, making it impossible for her to get me to move, "oh, now you want to get up?"

Hadley attempts to thrash her body around underneath me in an attempt to get me off, exerting herself in the process.

"Saylor this isn't fair, I thought we grew out of this?" Hadley questions.

I shake my head, "I'm never too old to suffocate you with my body weight."

Hadley giggles as the door opens, Emerson appearing in the door frame with a smirk on her face.

"I thought the movie marathon started at 11 and you two are still in bed. You have guests waiting for you." Emerson says with a smile, her dimple prominent.

"I'd be out there if Saylor's fat ass wasn't on top of me." Hadley complains.

I gasp, "take that back!"

"Get off of me and maybe I will!" She protests.

I take a second to think about it, "no."

"Emerson, help!" Hadley pleads.

Emerson laughs, "what was it you used to say to me?"

Emerson rubs her chin as she thinks of the line, me already knowing it and smiling as defeat sets in Hadley's eyes.

"Ah, yes!" Emerson says, pointing her finger to the ceiling, "you're on your own kid."

"Emmy!" Hadley shouts as Emerson laughs at her struggles.

I smile too, my heart warming at the sound and sight of Emerson's laughter.

Emerson has so much to be upset about, that seeing the moments when she's light and happy, make me feel light and happy as well. Her joy is my joy and her pain is my pain... that is until I feel myself fall off the bed. That pain is all my own.