Chapter Fifteen: No More Kissing

Saylor's POV:

"Saylor?" Hadley asks.

"Hmm?" I ask, redirecting my attention back at the task at hand.

"Do you like it? Could you see Kyle and I getting married here?" Hadley asks.

I survey the venue, my head being anywhere but here right now.

My mind won't stop worrying about Emerson. She still hasn't contacted me and it's almost been a week.

I've tried stopping by the house, but she's never there and Hadley doesn't give me much for explanations as to how she's doing when I ask, which there's only so many times I can ask before it becomes suspicious.

I feel like I can't focus, not knowing what's going through her head and if she's okay. I know she's probably busy trying to find an apartment or at least trying separate herself from her father, but I just want her to clarify to me that she's alright. I want to hear it from her.

"It's beautiful, Hads." I say, my eyes taking in the giant and very open cathedral.

"What is it? I see doubt in your eyes." Hadley questions.

My eyes meet hers, "I thought you didn't want a religious wedding. This is the exact opposite of what you always told me you wanted."

Hadley sighs as she looks defeated, "I know... it's just... Kyle's family is religious and I want to be accommodating to them."

"It's your wedding. You shouldn't have to be accommodating to anyone." I state, crossing my arms.

Hadley shakes her head as annoyance and irritation radiate off of her.

"Hadley, you once said if anyone knows you... it's me, and I know you don't want a wedding in a cathedral, that is towns away from home. You wanted to get married in Mr. & Mrs. Underwood's nursery back home, in your hometown that you love so much, with an arch wrapped in vines and various flowers during late spring. This isn't you, Hadley." I explain.

"What's more romantic than getting married on Valentine's Day?" She argues angrily, her eyes narrowed on me.

"I don't know? Having the wedding you always wanted?" I argue back.

Hadley sighs as she sits down in a pew and buries her head into her hands, "I know, Saylor. I just don't know what to do. We're running out of time and I still haven't found a dress."

I take a seat next to her and wrap my arm around her before pulling her into me, "don't rush things, Hads. You only get married once... if you do it right, so do it how you want it."

Hadley half-heartily laughs, "thanks, no pressure."

I softly smile, "you want a day you can look back on and be fond of. Don't make this wedding about anyone but yourself and Kyle."

She nods, "you think we can get this all done in less than 4 months?"

I weakly smile, unsure if that's really possible.

Kyle and her should have had a venue a year before the date, but it's been hard for Hadley to do on her own. Kyle hasn't helped pick out a single thing and hasn't been with for anything, it's been all on Hadley. It's severely unfair to her for him to leave her high and dry in a moment like now.

"We can try." I say, not being super reassuring but realistic nonetheless.

Hadley shakes her head, "I need your help, Saylor. You're the only one that keeps centered."

I softly smile, knowing it's true, but slightly scaring me how much she depends on me.

If this goes wrong, she'll blame me. Hell, if she finds out about Emerson and I, it might crush her and derail her focus. We, especially her, can't afford that right now.