Chapter Six: Welcome Home, Saylor!

Saylor's POV:

I spent the last two hours socializing with damn near every face in expansive backyard, but no Emerson to be found.

I start to feel a little disheartened that she didn't come as I finally find a moment to myself under the back deck and away from the crowds of people.

The Beaumont's live on a hill, a hill that has a good view of the town. All the lights seen below now that the sun has set and the fall breeze has picked up, causing my body to shiver.

"Hey, princess." I hear from behind me as I turn around to see Emerson exiting the basement portion of the house, a portion that leads to the underneath the back deck.

My lips fail me as the corners of them turn upward at that sight of her. Her curly hair covered by a beanie and a olive green bomber on her torso, her dimple prominent as she flashes her pearly whites.

"And here I was, thinking you weren't going to come." I tease as she comes closer.

"And ditch you? I could never." She says sarcastically as she leans against a beam below the deck.

There's a beat of silence as she looks at the view of the town below us. Her face is barely lit up from the lights, but it's enough to see her eyes glint at the sights in front of her.

"It's beautiful. Isn't it?" She asks, enamored by the the view.

I softly smile at the excitement in her eyes and smile, "very much so."

Her eyes look over to me as her eyes flicker along my face, "almost as beautiful as you."

My cheeks instantly flush as I turn away from her slightly to hide the reddening. When did she become such a flirt?

"Saylor, are you blushing?" She asks, taking her back off the beam and walking over to me.

I shake my head as I turn completely away from her, Emerson's warm hand gently grabbing my chin to force me to face her. Her eyes flicker along my face as she slowly moves her hand away, my skin already missing it's warmth.

"You're cute when you blush. You know that?" She asks.

I shake my head, words caught in my throat from my nerves as she softly chuckles and creates space between us, looking back down below.

"You know, this is my favorite part about this house... this view. It's so crazy to see all those lights now, it wasn't like this when we were last living here." She states.

I smile, "no, it's expanded quite a bit."

Emerson nods, "small town isn't so small anymore."

I nod as I hesitantly step closer to her, the wind picking up again and causing me to shiver once more.

Emerson looks down at me, noticing my body jittering from the cold breeze before sliding her jacket off of her and holding it out in front of me.

I arch my eyebrow, "won't you get cold?"

She shakes her head, "I'm not planning to be out here long."

My eyes flicker between her and the jacket as I reluctantly reach out to grab it. I put it on, my nose instantly acquainted with its sandalwood and citrus smell that it's owner has.

"Better?" She asks.

"Much better." I say as I take a deep inhale and my body warms.

Her eyes scan my body as a smile forms on her lips, causing my insides to flip and my heart to quicken its pulse. Focus, Saylor... and not on her.