Chapter Seven: Top of the Mornin'

Saylor's POV:

My head pounding and dish ware clanging downstairs causes me to begrudgingly stir myself awake.

My eyes adjust as I sit up and rub my temples. The vanilla scent mixed with Hadley's floral comforter set covering my body. Hadley is knocked out next to me with her mouth agape and drool spilling out her mouth, causing me to lightly laugh to myself.

I throw the comforter off of my body. My joints aching as my body adjusts to holding my weight. My body covered in a pair of Hadley's sweatpants and sweatshirt that smell strongly like her as I throw my hair up into a messy bun and stumble to her bathroom.

Last night, we did not clock out of the party early. In fact, Hadley coerced into many drinking games, making the rest of the night a bit of a blur.

I push open Hadley's bathroom door and let out a big yawn as my eyes take in my current state. My blue eyes having bags beneath them, my brunette hair in disarray, and a sheet of sleep still sitting on my face.

I turn on the tap, grabbing my toothbrush that stays at Hadley's and brush weak circles on my teeth and gums before taking a handful of water and washing my face to rid the sleep from my eyes and face.

I exit the bathroom, following the smell of food from outside her room and make my way down the stairs. I follow the scent all the way to the kitchen where Emerson is standing with a white tank top, grey sweats, and her curly hair thrown into a low bun.

I take this moment that I have without her noticing me to really look at her. Her back is facing me, allowing me to take a moment to appreciate her back muscles and her somewhat defined traps.

Emerson takes after her dad in her height, being one of the taller girls in my school. She would have been perfect in sports if she wasn't so busy trying to make herself small around everyone, trying not to be noticed and take up too much space, thinking her existence was inconvenient.

I didn't have to be friends with her to see it.

It was almost painful to watch, which is why I felt a need to protect her. Instantly calling out anyone that had anything bad to say about her, despite us hardly knowing each other. I always told myself it was because she was Hadley's sister, but maybe... if I was genuinely honest with myself, it was more.

I wanted to protect her because she had a hold on me. She peaked my interest, held my attention, and caused emotions that I've never felt with anyone else.

It always confused me, how with only limited interactions, I held onto every one tightly. I tried to keep her to the back of my mind, but my stomach always warmed when seeing her and my heart always raced by her proximity. I tried to convince myself that all the things I was feeling was just because I was intrigued by her.

I wasn't allowed to really talk to her, so I took an interest in her. I never tried to dig deep enough as to think that I was maybe attracted to her until Sydni got in my head last night, causing a slight feeling of doubt to linger in my system.

I've never been with a girl, though the desire has been there. Sometimes I even caught myself thinking of a woman while sleeping with men, but the sex aspect always confused me.

I just have a mental block when it comes down to it. I can imagine her lips on my neck, chest, breasts and I can imagine a girls hands running down my body, causing a heat I've only ever experienced when I think like this to enter my system, but it stops once it comes to imaging a girl actually giving me anything more. It's like if I can't imagine it, then it doesn't exist as an option.

Maybe I was, and still am, just intrigued with Emerson because I hardly know her. Maybe I have nothing to worry about and I'm not attracted to her. Maybe I'm just overthinking this all.