♛𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐒𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧♛

(Clara's POV)

Today is our last day camping...well until we get back for Friday. It's definitely been a hectic few days, but thankfully after the incident on the first day the rest have been pretty chill. We mostly spent our time swimming in the lake, singing around the campfire and going on long hikes through the woods.

But now it's 'mission escape campsite' as quoted by Xavier earlier.

We packed our bags and left at the crack of dawn and quietly snuck out of the campsite. Well...if you call Xavier tripping over a million twigs and shouting then sure...totally silent.

And that takes us to where we are right now, in the back of some fancy SUV arranged by Jameson, on our way to the palace.

To say I wasn't nervous would be a complete understatement. Meeting anyone's parents would make me feel nervous but when they are the king and queen of the country? I almost feel sick.

I focus my attention on the small details of this SUV, Xavier and Tom sitting opposite Jameson, Grayson and I.

Dinks and every sweet imaginable sits tucked inside a little snack area with cool drinks and even coffee.

LED lights are lined on the ceiling and on the floor, creating a warm cozy effect.

Suddenly my phone buzzes and I see I have a text from Savannah.

Savannah 🌸

Savannah: Hey C, sorry about rushing off earlier! Miss you already! See you on Friday xox

I stare at the message unable to think of a reply. Savannah was kind of weird earlier. When I told her about our plan to leave to go to Jameson's palace she insisted she didn't want to go. She ended up hanging around with her other friends for the rest of the nigh...but that wasn't even the weirdest part.

I was filling up my bottle in the middle of the night because it was boiling, like seriously, this hot and cold weather has me feeling lightheaded. But anyway as I made my way across the campsite I heard muffled talking and still now I can't even think of a reasonable explanation for it.

Savannah and Ruby were talking.

But not just talking. Laughing, smiling.

I don't understand. On my first day at school Savannah was so shaken by Ruby she couldn't even speak. But seeing them talking last night was like they were best friends?

Am I missing something here? I don't know if she's being fake to me or to Ruby or what is even going on but a strange feeling in my stomach tells me this isn't good.

I'm brought back to realty as someone gently nudges my arm. "Everything okay?"

I look up into the one and only Jamesons green eyes. I can see the worry and anger still clouding his mind as his eyes search mine. After what happened in the woods everyone's been checking up on me which I really appreciative but it's as if they are waiting for me to break.

Jameson doesn't look at me that way though. His eyes are searching mine to give me strength and to let me know he's right here with me.

I don't know how I know that but I just do.

But the anger and worry he had that night in the woods is still on his mind, I just know it. The mention of their names makes his eyes darken and his fists clench.

No one has ever looked out for me like they did that night. I really have found the best group of friends...I just need to know what's going on with Savannah.