Chapter 23

Thankfully, Wes didn't try anything on Lexi throughout the entirety of the movie. While she was able to enjoy the movie, every so often a pleasure ache brewed in the pit of her stomach whenever she recalled what happened with Tom in the spare theater room. She couldn't believe that this was now her life, teetering on a sordid affair with a man that was eight years her senior. This was the kind of thing that she, along with her family, had devoted their lives to: uncovering the truth and bringing justice to those who break the rules. And here she was, ready to break every single damn rule to be with a man that made her heart flutter like never before.

As soon as the movie finished, Lexi scanned the cluster of people making their way out of the theater. Her heart sank a little when she couldn't spot Tom.

"So, what'd you think?" Wes asked, interrupting her thoughts. They followed in line behind the people from the rows ahead of them.

"I thought it was great! As always, they did such a good job. What about you? What'd you think?"

"It was cool. Kinda boring at parts and some parts were confusing, but overall it was fine."

Lexi raised a brow. She couldn't think of a single scene during the entire two and a half hours that was boring. "Thanks for taking me out, and for getting these tickets even though it sounds like this movie wasn't your cup of tea," she said as they exited the theater and stepped into the carpeted hallway. She glimpsed the backs of Tom and Greg's heads making their way out of the front entrance.

"Anytime. This was fun. We should do it again sometime soon."

"Yeah," Lexi said absentmindedly.

"Yeah?" Wes said with a hopeful lilt in his voice.

They made their way out of the front entrance and Lexi turned to Wes. "Listen, Wes. I had a great time, but I actually think we'd be better as just friends." Lexi was desperate to start being more honest.

"Oh? Was there something I did wrong?" he asked genuinely and Lexi's heart twisted.

"No! No, not at all. I just can't see us as anything more than friends. Plus, I have to be honest, there's someone else that I've been hung up on."

Wes curled his lips in and nodded slowly. "I see."

"Yeah, I'm so sorry. I had fun though! And believe me I don't normally go out on dates at all. So, thanks for taking me out. It was nice to try something new."

Wes smiled feebly. "I had fun too. And that guy is one lucky dude."

Lexi blushed. While there was no spark with Wes, and not to mention, there were some uncomfortable moments too, he was still sweet and Lexi deemed that he would make some girl happy someday. For a moment Lexi wondered if she should recommend he date Mindy. Yet, quickly brushed the thought aside. For some reason Mindy had always found something wrong with the guys she dated. At times, Lexi wondered if she and Mindy would grow old dreaming about finding a man, but never actually finding one. They would simply live out their days commenting in detail about how Michael B. Jordan looked really good in his latest Instagram post, and living vicariously through all of the characters in the movies and shows they watched.

Lexi bid Wes goodbye and made her way to her car. She was relieved that Wes didn't try to push anything on her, but she didn't dwell on the thought for very long.

Before she knew it, she was pulling into campus and back into her dorm. Mindy wasn't in the room and Lexi briefly wondered what she was up to this late in the evening.

After checking all of the monitors and finding nothing suspicious, she changed into PJs and got ready for bed. Tom was all she could think about, replaying their exchanged words and kisses over and over again. She was curious as to what he thought about the movie and before she could put any more thought into it, she was scrolling through her deleted emails, scouring for the one with his number.

Her thumbs moved quickly after finding the ten digit number. She saved it under the best code name she could think of.

Lexi: Hey, Ron Weasley. What did you think of the movie?

She threw her phone across her bed as if it was going to burn her fingers if she held it for too long. Ugh, why did I open with that? I'm so cheesy. As soon as the vibration sound met her ears she jumped to her phone and settled on her stomach to read his response.

Ron: Hermione? Is that you?

While Lexi was trying to think of a clever response back, the three dots appeared again.

Ron: And I thought it was a cinematic masterpiece.

An uncontrollable smile was plastered across her face. She agreed with that sentiment wholeheartedly.

Hermione: Same! I loved all of it.

Lexi bit her bottom lip, wondering if she should tell Tom that she wished she was sitting with him for the movie.

Ron: How about we watch the next one together? It may not come out for another year or so, but I can't risk my chances of someone else asking you first.

Lexi giggled and turned over in bed to lie on her back.

Hermione: I'd really like that.

She took in a breath and decided to add another text before Tom could respond.

Hermione: I'll be counting the days until this semester is over. I really enjoyed kissing you in that theater.

Her heart was beating fast at her confession, and she wondered what Tom was thinking.

Ron: There's 84 days, 17 hours, 23 minutes, and 14 seconds, but who's counting...

Lexi laughed and her cheeks warmed.

Ron: I'll be thinking about kissing you each moment until then.

A hum ran through Lexi's body and settled itself in her lower abdomen.

Hermione: Same. It's going to be a long semester.

Ron: Well, now that we have each other's numbers, I say texting doesn't break the rules. What do you think?

Hermione: Mischief Managed!

Lexi hoped Tom would recognize the quote from Harry Potter and his laugh cry emoji response didn't disappoint. The pair continued texting late into the evening with quotes from their favorite movies to flirtatious texts that sent Lexi's pulse into a frenzy. It seemed that they were both content to keep getting to know each other but holding off on going out together until the semester was done. Lexi wondered if she would be able to keep that up as the more her and Tom got to know each other the more she wanted to be right next to him, to feel his skin against hers.

After texting him goodnight, Lexi drifted off into sleep with an intoxicating high. That night she dreamt of Tom and only Tom. His lips on hers, his fingers caressing her skin, and them discovering each other's bodies in a passionate embrace. While parts of the dream were a blur, she was able to finish what she had set out to do in the vacant theater. With her on her knees, sucking and grabbing, Tom's moans filled her ears.

She shot up from bed in a light sweat and her eyes adjusted to her surroundings. She glanced over at Mindy's bed to see her fast asleep under the covers. The ticking clock on the wall read 4:25. Lexi rubbed her eyes. The dryness in her mouth was begging to find relief and she reached over to grab her water bottle. After taking a long swig of water, she nestled back on to her pillow. She let out a sigh and stared up at the flat, white ceiling. Well, that dream just happened...

***

Thanks for reading, voting, and commenting! 🥰♥️