Chapter 32

"So, Mom and Dad, do I still have my job?" Lexi was seated right next to Tom, and their intertwined hands rested on her knee.

"Of course!" Scarlett held up her wad of tissues in front of her before continuing. "Listen, Lexi. Your father and I admit we came on a little too strong when we found out you were seeing Tom. We just didn't want to see our little girl being taken advantage of and it was dangerous. While we won't apologize for loving you and wanting what's best for you, we will apologize for not listening to you yesterday. As your father said, you're an adult now and can make these decisions for yourself." Scarlett's voice cracked and Jason moved to stand behind her placing his hands on her shoulders. "While you might always be our Baby Lex Bex," she paused seemingly to hold back tears, "we know that you're wise beyond your years and you're fully capable to excel in anything you set your mind to."

Heat radiated through Lexi's chest. "Thanks, Mom. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you guys about everything earlier and you found out the way you did. I hope you know I do take my work seriously. I just didn't expect to meet Tom."

Sniffle noises filled the air before Scarlett nodded. "We're happy to get to know Tom and we look forward to it!" She paused and glanced around the table. "Look at us, such blubbering messes!"

The group laughed before Mindy gasped and forced everyone to look at her. "Wait!" She glanced between Scarlett and Tom. "Does this mean Tom knows all about the hot tub incident?"

When Tom responded with, "Uhhh, what hot tub incident?" Mindy's eyes grew wide and she smacked her hands over her mouth.

Cole made spitting sounds and burst out laughing. Lexi squinted playfully.

"Oh my God, if someone wants to put a muzzle on me, I'll allow it." Mindy hid her face with the crook of her elbows.

Tom turned to Lexi with an amused expression. "Are they talking about our hot tub incident?"

Lexi nodded and scooted her chair closer to Tom. "So, that night we, um, talked at the hot tub." She hoped Tom was picking up the signal that she hadn't told her parents they kissed that night. He seemed to understand as a gorgeous smirk graced his lips. "Well, it wasn't exactly by chance that I was there."

"What?" Tom raised a brow.

"I was supposed to be flirting with Greg. We were hired by his ex-girlfriend Clara to catch him cheating. And so my family assigned me to get his number."

Tom's jaw fell open but amusement still laced his expression. He glanced at Scarlett and it seemed as if he was fitting in the last piece of the puzzle. "Oh, man! I thought you looked familiar! You were there that night, talking to Greg."

Scarlett laughed and brought her shoulders up. "Guilty."

Tom shook his head. "I always thought Crazy Clara would do something like that. I mean, Greg isn't innocent, as you all can already tell, but he's a work in progress." Tom laughed and rubbed his palm over his mouth in shock. He looked up and his soft, cerulean eyes met Lexi. "Well, good job, guys. Clara dumped Greg the next day. But, I must say, I'm glad it was me that reached the pool before Greg."

"Me too." Lexi squeezed his hand and their eyes stayed glued to each other. Holding Tom's hand, being close to him, and finding out that he was one of the good guys, was lighting a fire in Lexi's stomach and she wanted nothing more than to go somewhere private to show him how much she missed him.

"Wait, so is Tom your real name?" Mindy scratched the top of her head as she sat back in her seat.

"Yeah, it is. I didn't use an alias because there was too high of a chance I'd get recognized. I'm from the area and went to school at LMU back in the day."