I choose dare

"I think it's best if you girls go home for today, I don't want your parents worrying, 'bout y'all," Mary said softly.

As soon as she comprehended what had happened with Georgie, she shut herself outside the house with George and stayed there for a good 10 minutes. When she came back inside she was eerily calm, although her tight smile and harsh breaths said different. It was quite clear she was faking a strong front for the friends, but Missy knew all too well that the front would come crashing down soon enough. 

Elaine sighed, vocalizing what the other two were thinking.

"I'm so sorry Mrs Cooper, but I'm just not sure that will work for me." Louise piped up.

Everyone turned towards her, in shock and confusion. Of course, after Georgie had to be driven to the hospital, it was only inevitable that the sleepover would be canceled, but Louise seemed to have other ideas.

"Come again?" Mary stammered.

"You see, my brother is out for the whole evening. He has nightly revision classes that start very soon from now. There wouldn't be enough time for him to come and get me."

"Is that so?" The mother muttered under her breath.

You could almost see the cogs whirring in her brain as she tried to find a solution to getting Louise home.

"Surely we can drop you off, I know roughly where you live."

This stumps Lou, but she doesn't take long to come up with another counter reason.

"Oh no, I would hate to be a bother," she insisted, "and anyway, I really hate the idea of being home alone for so long. My brother won't be back until very late and very dark."

"And your parents? Will they not be back from work in time to pick you up?" Mary almost pleaded.

She's clutching at straws and everyone knows it, even her. Louise smiled and chuckled lightly.

"I think you must have misunderstood. They're not at work, but on holiday in Florida. That's why my brother is taking care of me. Something tells me they aren't going to come back just to pick me up from a sleepover," Louise explained.

Missy thought she saw her mom mouthing something, but she couldn't be certain. Defeated, Mary gave a wry smile that didn't reach her eyes. 

"And if Louise is staying, then Elaine can too. The room is all set up and it won't be fun with just the two of us," Missy chipped in, doing her part to help.

Mary smiled again and left the room without any further comment. Assuming this was a yes, the three hugged each other tightly like they had just won the lottery, not prevented a sleepover fail.

"Was that all true, you know, the night classes and trip to Florida?" Missy hissed quietly.

"No! Well, my parents were on holiday but they came back this afternoon. My brother only drove me because they were unpacking." 

Missy and Elaine stared at their friend in shock. How was she such a good liar? That didn't matter anymore though, as they had lots to get to. After scrambling up the stairs, the youngsters shut the door tightly and gathered on her bed. Missy rustled around for a moment in her chest of draws before producing the itinerary they had made at school a few days previous.

"Hmm... we can do Never Have I Ever, Would you rather, Snap or..." Missy listed, flipping the piece of paper to see the next side before continuing. "Truth or Dare."