Chapter 11

Naina arrives home from school to find the house empty, as Vikram had informed her about everyone's schedules in the morning. After freshening up and eating a light snack, she decides to rest and drifts off to sleep.

Later, Ved and Vidhi return from college and head to their room. Feeling hungry, they venture into the kitchen to prepare something to eat, still not fully considering Naina as their sister-in-law.

As Vidhi reaches into the cabinet, something slips from her hand, prompting Ved to playfully pull her ponytail and feign anger, saying, "Watch what you're doing properly."

Rolling her eyes, Vidhi retorts, "Okay, Bro, but no need to shout."

Their banter is interrupted by a noise, and they turn to find Naina standing before them.

---

Naina wakes up and checks the time, realizing it's time for the children to return from college. Hearing noises downstairs, she descends to the kitchen and finds Ved and Vidhi attempting to cook. Suppressing a giggle at their antics, she observes them quietly.

Startled by her presence, Ved and Vidhi exchange glances before nervously looking at Naina. She smiles warmly at them, remarking, "You should have told me you were hungry. I could have prepared something for you." Moving to the counter, she offers to cook for them.

Despite their silence, Naina decides to take charge, asking them to step aside so she can whip up a quick meal. With deft movements, she prepares white sauce pasta for them, serving it with a smile.

As Ved and Vidhi retreat to their room with their plates, Naina watches them, feeling a sense of accomplishment amidst the challenge. She knows winning their acceptance won't be easy, but she's determined to make progress, one step at a time.

                         ~~~~

As night falls, Rajendra returns home to a quiet house where everyone has already had dinner, except for Vidyunt and Vikram, who are still out.

In his room, Rajendra picks up Chhaya's photograph, feeling her presence beside him as he speaks to her. "Today, Naina insisted I eat just like you used to, and I couldn't refuse her, just like a daughter feeding her father," he says fondly. "It warms my heart that someone talks to me without hesitation, unlike my own children. But Naina is my child now too."

Smiling softly, he reflects, "Our two kids are as stubborn as me. It may take time for them to warm up to Naina, but they will." Gazing at Chhaya's picture, he adds, "I love you dearly. You will always be Raj's shadow," before kissing the photo and placing it back.

---

Meanwhile, Naina glances at the clock, noting it's already 9:00 PM. Engrossed in her school work, she steps out of her room and hears the familiar sounds of Ved and Vidhi playing a game.

Vidyunt arrives home, exhausted from a long day of work and Vikram's added tasks. After briefly resting on the sofa, he retreats to his room to freshen up, leaving the boisterous sounds of his siblings' game echoing through the house.

Shaking his head with a smile, Vidyunt remarks, "They're like two generals strategizing for war, not playing a game."

As he steps out of the shower, Vidyunt joins his siblings in their room. He settles onto the bed and observes them still immersed in their game. Without warning, he pulls them both into his embrace, eliciting protests from both. Vidhi, however, secretly revels in the interruption, relieved from the impending loss.

Ignoring their complaints, Vidyunt inquires about their dinner. Satisfied with their response, Vidhi quietly asks, "Has Bhaiya come home?"

"Not yet," Vidyunt replies wearily.

Concerned, Ved notices the fatigue etched on his brother's face. "Are you very tired today?"

"Yes, it was a busy day, thanks to your dear bhaiya's overwhelming affection," Vidyunt jests. Vidhi shoots him a protective glare, defending her brother.

Undeterred, Vidyunt playfully teases, "Oh, the silent devotee of your brother, have mercy on me." Ved chuckles at Vidhi's reaction.

Asserting her loyalty, Vidhi retorts, "As much as you have rights over your beloved bhaiya, I have the same rights over mine."

Vidyunt counters, "Do you have a personal letter from him saying he loves you more?" Their banter reflects the deep bond they share with their brother.

As Vedansh drifts off to sleep, muttering about basketball.

After a while, bidding Vidhi goodnight, Vidyunt heads to the kitchen, feeling a pang of hunger despite his exhaustion. Reminding himself to eat before sleeping, he stands at the kitchen entrance, observing Naina heating up food upon hearing his arrival.

As Naina notices Vidyunt's presence, she swiftly prepares a plate of food and steps out to find him standing by the gate.

"Bhai will be late," he informs her.

"It's alright. You should eat now; it's already late," Naina responds with concern.

Vidyunt gestures towards himself, asking, "Is this for me?"

Naina glances around him playfully before confirming, "Yes, unless you see someone else here."

Setting the food on the table, she invites him to join her, prompting a flood of emotions within Vidyunt. He never expected to receive such care from anyone other than his brother. Although his stomach remains empty, his heart feels full. As he looks at Naina's serene expression, he finds solace in her presence.

                          ~~~~

I hope you like it.
Do vote and comment.