Seventeen

"Marcie?"

"Yeah?" Aurora was waiting on the stairs for Percy to finish in the house, quickly getting to her feet when she saw his anger. "What's wrong?"

"It's- nothing. My mom wants to meet you." He held his hand out for her, Aurora taking it and letting him quickly pull her through the house and to his room.

Successfully keeping her out of Gabe and his friends's sight.

"So." Sally looked at her with a soft smile, Aurora offering one back as she tried her best to ignore the messy room around her. "How's the outside world to you?"

"You couldn't make me sound cool?" Aurora hissed as she swatted Percy's arm, the boy shrugging halfheartedly. "I've totally been here thousands of times."

"Uh huh." Sally was amused, catching the twitching of her ears that Percy also pointed out.

"My skin is crawling, I can't take it anymore." Aurora suddenly blurted, eyes bouncing around the room in disgust. "Is the man half pig? No, not even a pig would live in this filth."

"Sorry, dear. I'm trying." Sadness filled her eyes again, Sally looking around as Aurora covered her mouth.

"No, I'm sorry, I-"

"It's okay, Marcie. We were talking before I got you." Percy reassuringly told her, not easing her guilt.

"Yeah but...think first...." Aurora trailed off, catching sight of a package on Percy's bed. An untouched package, compared to the rest of the room. "The package."

To: The Gods, Mount Olympus 600th Floor, Empire State Building

New York, NY

With best wishes, PERCY JACKSON

RETURN TO SENDER

"Oh, and I can't get a hellhound?!" Aurora threw her hands up, a harsh scoff leaving her as she looked between the two of them.

"Mom," Percy looked at his mother, totally ignoring Aurora's outburst, "do you want Gabe gone?"

"Percy, it isn't that simple. I-"

"Mom, just....just tell me. That jerk has been hitting you." That made Aurora's brows furrow in anger, hands dropping as she looked at Sally. "Do you want him gone or not?"

"...yes, Percy." She had hesitated and nodded, wringing her hands together. "And I'm trying to get up my courage to tell him. But you can't do this for me. You can't solve my problems."

"I can. Just leave him with me for a good few, and he'll be crying at your feet." Percy pushed Aurora's hand down, giving it a squeeze since he knew she was being completely serious.

"I can do it." Percy said to his mom. "One look in this box and he'll never bother you again."

Sally cast one look at the box, which is all she needed to seemingly understand.

"No, Percy." She stepped away, shaking her head. "You can't."

"Poseidon calls you a queen." Aurora spoke up again. "He always says he's never met a woman like you. He tells me stories of how you two fell in love."

Sally's cheeks flushed a deep red, her eyes shining with tears as a smile tried to fight its way on her face.

"You guys-"

"You deserve better than this, Mom. You should go to college and get your degree." Percy encouraged, Aurora nodding approvingly beside him. "You can write your novel, meet a nice guy, maybe. Live in a nice house. You don't need to protect me anymore by staying with Gabe. Let me get rid of him."