two

CHIRONS ONE SUSPICIOUS CENTAUR

Chiron forced Ariana to walk around camp with him and Percy. It wasn't hard to notice all the campers staring at the group, Ariana was used to the attention, being unclaimed.

"Chiron," Percy said. "If the gods and Olympus and all that are real..."

"Yes child?"

"Does that mean the Underworld is real, too?"

Chirons expression darkened.

"Yes child." He paused, as if choosing his words carefully. Arianna could tell her was hiding something. "There is a place spirits go after death. But for now... until we know more I urge you to put that out of your mind.

"What do you mean until we know more?" Ariana asked, also suspicious.

Chiron completely ignored her question. "Come children. Let's see the woods."

The woods were dark, something that never bothered Ariana even as a child. Instead of being afraid of it, she embraced it as thought it was an old friend.

Chiron said, "The woods are stocked, if you care to try your luck, but go armed."

"Stocked with what?" Percy asked. "Armed with what?"

"You'll see. Capture the flag is Friday night. Do you have your own sword and shield?"

"My own-"

"No," Chiron said. "I don't suppose you do."

"I think a size five will be fine." Ariana suspected, looking Percy up and down.

Chiron nodded, "You have good eye. I'll visit the armoury later."

"Sword and spear fights?" Percy asked, sounding like he was shitting himself. It wouldn't surprise Ariana if he was.

"Cabin challenges and all that." Chiron explained. "Not lethal. Usually, oh yes the mess hall."

Chiron pointed to an outdoor pavilion framed in white Grecian columns on a hill overlooking the sea. There were a dozen stone picnic tables, no roof. No walls.

"What do you do when it rains?" Asked Percy. Ariana wondered where he got his curiosity from. He seemed full of questions.

"We still have to eat dont we?" Chiron said.

Ariana decided to explain. "It doesn't rain. There's a border that keeps monsters out, like the Minotaur you fought, as well as mortals and im addition the weather. It's always non-rainy."

Finally Chiron decided to show him the cabins. There were twelve of them, nestled in the woods by the lake. They were arranged in a U, with two at the base and five In a row either side.

I'm the centre of the field was a huge stone lined fire pit. Even though it was a warm afternoon, the hearth smouldered.

"Zeus and Heras?" Percy guessed, pointing to the pair of cabins at the head of the field, numbers one and two.

"Correct." Chiron said,

"Their cabins look empty."

"Several of the cabins are. That's true. No one ever stays in one or two."

Chiron put a hand on Percy's shoulder. "Come along Percy."

They passed the other cabins.

"Oh look Annabeth is waiting for us." Chiron pointed out the daughter of Athena.

Annabeth was reading a book in front of Hermes cabin, cabin eleven.

"Annabeth." Chiron said. "I have a masters archery class at noon. Would you take Percy from here?"

"Yes, sir."

"Cabin eleven." Chiron said, gesturing to the door. "Make yourself at home."

Percy and Annabeth entered.

"Well then," Chiron said, "Good luck, Percy. I'll see you at dinner. Ariana? May I have a moment."

"Sure."

Ariana bid both Percy and Annabeth goodbye before catching up to Chiron, who was heading over to the archery range.

"Your hiding something." Ariana noticed. "You wouldn't speak of the underworld and not to mention it's been thundering more."

"You're observant, my dear."

"What's happening on Olympus?" She asked, beating around the bush.

Chiron sighed. "Zeus is lightning bolt has been stolen; he is blaming Poseidon for it. Believes he has gotten somebody to steal it for himself."

Then it clicked. "You think Percy is a son of Posideon, don't you? That's why you went to Yancy Academy."

Chiron nodded, smiling slightly. "Are we sure you're not a child of Athena?"

Ariana smiled. "That's another thing, Chiron. I wanted to ask... do you think my godly parent will ever claim me?"

"Unfortunately I cannot answer that."

Ariana nodded this time. "You have your suspicions, don't you?"

Chiron looked straight ahead at the archery range. Already, there was a group of Apollo children as well as some Ares children stood around the targets.

"I do." He confirmed. "Don't worry about your parentage Ariana. It isn't worth it."

"I'm still going to."

The centaur sighed. "I know but I believe the truth will be revealed soon. Don't worry."

"