two

THE HUNTERS

Ariana didn't know what type of monster Dr Thorn was. She tried so hard to figure it out, but there was nothing.

Ariana closed her eyes, suddenly feeling dizzy. She hoped she wouldn't faint in the middle of the floor, she had to protect Bianca and Nico.

"What are you doing, Parker?" hissed Dr Thorn. "Keep moving!"

She opened her eyes and kept shuffling forward. "It's my shoulder." She lied, trying to sound miserable, which wasn't hard. "It burns."

"Bah! My poison causes pain. It will not kill you. Walk!"

Thorn herded them outside, and she tried to concentrate on not fainting although it was becoming increasingly difficult.

Percy must've noticed the state she was in as he allowed her to lean onto him for support.

Thorn marched them into the woods. They took a snowy path dimly lit by old-fashioned lamplights.
Her shoulder ached.

The wind blowing through her ripped clothes was cold.

"There is a clearing ahead." Thorn said. "We will summon your ride."

"What ride?" Bianca demanded. "Where are you taking us?"

"Silence, you insufferable girl!"

"Don't talk to my sister that way!" Nico said. His voice quavered, but Ariana was impressed that he had the guts to say anything at all.

Dr Thorn made a growling sound that definitely wasn't human. It made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up, but she forced myself to keep walking and pretend she was being a good little captive.

"Halt." Thorn said.

The woods had opened up. They had reached a cliff.

Dr Thorn pushed us towards the edge. Ariana stumbled, and Percy and Bianca caught her.

"Thanks." She murmured.

"What is he?" Bianca whispered. "How do we fight him?"

"I ... I'm working on it." Percy said, looking at Ariana who was turning more pale by the second.

"I'm scared." Nico mumbled. He was fiddling with something - a little metal toy soldier of some kind. "I want one of those ghost things."

Ariana's heart ached. Percy was giving her a warning look. She knew she shouldn't off done it but she tried anything to summon one.

Only one thing happened and that was her feeling more dizzy.

"Stop talking!" Dr Thorn said. "Face me!"

They turned.

Thorn's two-tone eyes glittered hungrily. He pulled something from under his coat. At first Ariana thought it was a switchblade, but it was only a phone.

He pressed the side button and said, "The package - it is ready to deliver."

There was a garbled reply, and she realised Thorn was in walkie-talkie mode. This seemed way too modern and creepy - a monster using a cell phone.

Percy glanced behind him.

Dr Thorn laughed. "By all means, Son of Poseidon. Jump! There is the sea. Save yourself."

"What did he call you?" Bianca muttered.

"I'll explain later." Percy said.

"You do have a plan, right?"

"I would kill you before you ever reached the water." Dr Thorn said, as if reading his thoughts. "You do not realize who I am, do you?"

A flicker of movement behind him, and another missile whistled so close to her that it nicked her ear. Something had sprung up behind Dr Thorn - like a catapult, but more flexible ... almost like a tail.