Chapter 18

A note.

I called the book Noor. I thought it was a suitable title, in regards to the nature of it. Noor's name wasn't really Noor, it was Fahim. But I thought Noor represented both Adali and Fahim as one. Simplicity, love and devotion to Allah. I am not a Muslim, but I have true respect for Islam. The more Adali talked about Islam, the more I was tempted to read and learn the Noble Quran.  

I will never forget the day I met Adali. She stood out from the typical American crowd in her Niqab. She held perfect posture and raised her head high. Adali was a courageous person from the looks of it, so I decided to talk with her. She shared one of my classes, and one day, we began to talk about factorials in the local coffee shop. At this time, she transferred to the University of Chicago for her graduate degree. I was only an undergrad. As we talked, we began telling each other about ourselves. I thought I was all high and mighty, but compared to Adali, or Dali as she liked to be called, I was nothing. She told me her story on one rainy evening, as I decided to stop by at her apartment. I asked her if I could write her story on paper. Her little son, Muhammed, waddled up and kept touching my light colored hair as Adali slowly pulled him away and nodded in return. So I wrote Noor.  

- Woj