Chapter 6

I Should Have Said No

They say history repeats itself. I think it is because humans tend to make the same errors over and over again.

In movies, when something awful happens, there is rain or thunder but that day was sunny. The smell of fresh flowers floated through the air and children played in the park -- the beautiful scene was then interrupted by the handsome Noor.

Waving my hand frantically to tell him I was there, he ran to me with a bright smile on his face. I stopped at the edge of the road where the two of us met.

"Noor, we should go somewhere quiet." I suggested quietly, looking down to the ground out of respect.

Noor nodded motioned for me to follow him. Soon, the two of us were in a small alleyway near an unoccupied street. We stood by the opening, watching a few cars pass by in silence.

"What do you need to tell me?" I asked quietly, glancing over to his feet.

He did not utter a word, but instead immediately embraced me, to my surprise.

At first, I froze. I had no idea what to do besides whisper for help under my breath.

Then I pushed him away. "Noor, we are in public!" I exclaimed, my eyes crazed. "Now tell me what you called me for! You said it was important." How foolish!

"It is important." Then he looked at me. My gaze stayed lowered, but I felt his fiery brown eyes pierce into every part of my body.

I was not wearing my Niqab... Only my Hijab... He could see my face. Noor said nothing. Silence.

"Well?" I said loudly.

"Your mother and I have spoken." He finally said. The deep voice that Noor possessed cut through the air and to my ears, causing me to freeze in fright and astonishment. When would he have spoken to my mother? Impossible! She had not left to go anywhere but the shops ... Oh.

"She did not want to tell you herself, but we are to be married."

I could have vomited.

"What? Since when--"

"I will tell you when the time is right, and when we are together in a place where it is alright to speak with you." He bowed his head and reached into the black bag that hung on his shoulder. He pulled out a small bunch of colorful flowers and handed it to me.

It was a flattering gesture to almost any person except for me.

"No, no no no!" I shook my head wildly and backed up, my stomach churning with every heavy breath. This could not be happening to me. I even told mother...

I took the flowers unsure of what to do with them.

He still stared.

My eyes flickered up to meet his, forgive me Allah, as sympathy flowed into my heart. Sympathy and desire were dumped into my heart as if it was a mixing pool for feelings. Hatred, worry, sympathy and desire. Oh, lovely.

"Fine." I grumbled.

"Thank you. I shall see you at your house for dinner tomorrow. Adam and your mother invited me for a meeting."

"Excuse me--"

"Adali." He said, walking across the street and into the park, then disappearing into the light as if he were a part of the light itself.

I dropped the flowers on the ground.