Chapter 15

The Mess 

It was all a mess. I woke up the next morning feeling absolutely awful. My head hurt, my stomach was unsettled and I could not stop my vomiting. My mother returned to Noor’s home to look after me. The two of us sat on the bedside, talking. I had to take a break from school just for a day.

She took me to the doctors early that morning to see if I was sick. In fact, I wasn’t.

That day was the nicest day I had in a while. Me and mother had a wonderful bonding time together, chatting and laughing. I told her about what happened with Noor and she said she wasn’t surprised. History always did repeat itself, didn’t it?

Fortunately, Adam and Fatima were doing well, both healthy. Adam wasn’t pulling the best grades in school so mother was busy helping him with his homework. She was a busy woman, and I respected her for that. She was always going back and forth from her job to home, raising two other children and working full time.

“So, Adali. What do you plan on doing with your life in a couple months?” She asked me, folding her hands gently on her lap. “You’re going to be graduating soon-- I am so proud.” Her voice was soft and I could tell she had a loving smile on under her Niqab.

“Yes, of course. I want to go on to get my second degree and hopefully … A graduate degree.”

“Really? No one has ever done that before.” For once, mother did not object. A small smile spread across my face and I took her hands in mine.

“Yes Mama. Do you support this decision?” The worn and tired woman nodded immediately.

“Where are you applying to?”

“The University of Illinois and University of Texas. They both have accomplished science and mathematics programs. It would be an amazing start. They also have a high acceptance rate for international transfer students. I certainly did my research.”

Mother stared at me with blank eyes for a moment before putting her hands on my cheeks. “Oh you’re such a good girl, you make me proud! Did you tell anyone else this yet?”

“Yes, I have spoken to Noor’s mother and father and they willingly accepted. I’m going to be something big mama. Someone who, in the eternal future, will have their name in a textbook, who college students will study from, and whose research will be forever remembered. Someone whose face will never be forgotten!”

Mother squeezed my hand tightly. “Maybe even a Nobel prize winner.” I added quietly.

“Then you go to America and bring pride to your name, Insha’Allah!” Mother stood up and placed a hand on my head, then pointed to the bed. “You are still feeling hot my dear Adali, relax in bed and sleep. I am going to talk with Noor’s mama, I expect you to rest.” She walked to the door and closed it gently behind her. As I laid down, thoughts of the future ran through my head. It wasn’t until hard reality hit me in the stomach and I found myself holding on to my stomach once more. The doctor’s words floated through my mind and my heart beat quickly. Mother didn’t know about it yet.

The doorbell rang and my eyes flickered from the ceiling to the door of my room. Obviously, mama and Noor’s mother were outside talking to one another, for I heard that the downstairs door didn’t creak open. It must have been locked. Maybe it was Noor’s father, for he had gone out earlier.

Groaning as I stood up, I headed down the stairs and opened the door. Noor stood in the doorway looking rather exhausted.

“Asal--” I began.

“Are you alright Dali, you look awful!” He exclaimed, his eyes wide.

“I’m fine. I still need that talk--”