Chapter 7: Detention

"So, what's your next move?" asked Alix.

A little "oooh" went all around the table. Marinette (as always) did her best to ignore it.

"Well...um..." Marinette began, "...I might have a chance to be with him this afternoon...however...we probably won't get too much of a chance to talk once we're there."

"Oh!" Rose beamed, "Movies?!"

"Detention, actually." replied Marinette, "Due to me and him suddenly disappearing yesterday when that Lizard-Shark hybrid akuma appeared. I'm surprised that Ms. Bustier was easy on us because it's only one day."

Alix smirked, striking a dreamy pose after asking if it was romantic. Rose got confused and asked if it was, resulting in Julekka whispering in her ear.

"Adrien's old man isn't going to go insane because Adrien got detention is he?" asked Alya, slightly worried.

"He did at first," Marinette answered, "but they worked it out, I think, based on what he texted me last night."

"Anything special planned this afternoon?" asked Mylene.

"Not really. Not sure what I can do there. So I'll play it by ear."

...

Marinette waited outside of the detention room. Alya waited along with her for some company, but left shortly before Adrien showed up.

"Hello, Marinette! I was looking for you." he said happily, "Needed to be sure this was the place. And before you know it, I can never go back to class. I'm just in detention all the time. Kind of reminds me of home, really."

Adrien smiled at the last joke he made. Marinette, however, cringed at that. Adrien's smile faded immediately after seeing it.

"I'm kidding!" he assured, "Really, I'm fine. It's been getting better lately."

"I hope so." said Marinette, her eyes filled with concern, "I worry about you, you know."

"I know you do, and you're wonderful for doing that. I've seen a change within myself these past few days. And you know that you're a big part of the reason for that, right?"

It was one thing to know: It was surely another to hear it straight from Adrien Agreste himself. Marinette felt her face heat up as it reddened. A silly grin appeared on it. She struggled for how to reply. Seeing the room beginning to full up somewhat, all she could manage was:

"Shall we?"

Marinette gestured towards the door.

"Can't let all the good seats get taken." she finished.

...

Marinette picked the very back seat in the room. She was pleased to see Adrien style in next to her. She peered up at the from room. She sighed in relief.

"We got Mis. Beauchamp on the monitor." Marinette explained, "She's a teacher who'd allow you to talk quietly."

It was a few minutes later when Marinette and Adrien began to talk.

"So...you're right," Marinette began, "I've noticed a positive change in you the last few days."

"I meant what I said earlier, by the way." replied Adrien, "so much of me feeling better thanks to you."

Marinette's nervous smile then returned.

"I'm just glad that I could help you. I hate seeing anyone in pain..." she whispered back, "...especially friends who deserve so much better."