5: Arissa is inappropriate

AHAHA!  I HAVE A LAPTOP NOW!!!  *Maniacal cackling*  DOBBY IS FREE AT LAST!!!

Not much time seems to pass before Jack leads a couple of cart ponies out from a nearby shed and hitches them up to his wagon. It is obviously much more sturdily made than the flimsy carriage ever was, I observe, seeing as how it's escaped the accident virtually unscathed, whereas a large section of the carriage has burned away, like a delicate sheet of paper held up to a flame.

As it would later come to light, the gold and alabaster paints used in its decoration were highly flammable. It figures, doesn't it?

Arissa flings her arms around one of the equines joyfully. "Yay, ponies! I love ponies!" She nuzzles it with great affection. The pony looks startled for a split second, then settles happily into the attention it's given. "You're my precious! Yes, you are!" The redhead croons.

Mr. Jenkins runs a hand appreciatively along the side of the wagon. "Jack," he asks, "Did you build this yourself?"

Jack laughs awkwardly and fluffs his hair with one enormous hand. "Is it that obvious, sir?"

"Only in the best possible way. The quality of the construction is beyond anything that I've ever seen before. Did you dovetail this here?" He points to a section.

"Yes, and I used wooden pegs where they were needed, for extra strength and stability."

"Oak?"

"Through and through, sir. Need it to be tough, you see." Jack gives the elderly man a curious look. "I didn't have you down as a carpenter, sir."

"Oh, I had an uncle who dabbled. I used to watch him work when I had the time as a boy." Mr. Jenkins sighs contentedly. "I love the fresh scent of wood shavings. Pine, and cedar, hmm... It's forever ingrained in my mind."

"..And putting all of the parts together, and then they fit just right." Jack beams, but not in the wooden kind of way. "I get it, it's really satisfying. Shaving away pieces until you get exactly the shape that you want. There's no better feeling than when everything's working as you planned it."

"Indeed, young master Jack. I am glad to learn that there are still fellows like you about, able to value the hard work and resolve involved in creating a true family heirloom. There is veritably still some hope left yet in this rapidly modernizing world."

Jack looks completely befuddled for about half of the verbose gentleman's articulations, busying himself instead with his pony's reins. He reaches out to Arissa's mare hesitantly. "I just need to check that Dewdrop is all hitched up proper, Arissa." He avoids making direct eye contact with her as he says her name.

Arissa, pressing her obvious advantage on the poor boy, coyly bites the rein in her teeth, looking as seductive as she can possibly be.

No mean feat when you're nearly three times the height of the poor tiny pony, who is now straining to remain on her hooves.

"Why don't you come over here and get it, Jacky boy?" She whispers to him breathily, giving the bridle a sensuous twist around her index finger while she watches him through half-lidded eyes.

Dewdrop emits a protesting whinny, perhaps screaming something along the lines of 'HELP!' in horse speak.

Jack's jaw goes slack, and he lets out a very loud, very high-pitched squeak. He now looks like he's about to implode at any moment.

I quickly give Arissa a firm smack upside the head. "Now you stop that! The poor boy obviously can't handle any more 'Rissa charm at the moment. Besides," I continue. "It was you who wanted to go to that Nox-forsaken ball in the first place!!!"