17

Jaws drop all across the field when Cade gets his third home run of the game. The crowd it louder than she has ever heard. They're up 12-2 now.
It's only the bottom 6th.

When he jogs back to the dugout, the place is still rolling. He runs straight to Cam. Cam hugs him and ruffles his ballcap, like the big brother he never had.

Elliott squeezes his shoulder.

It takes her by surpise when he jumps into her arms next. The last two, he had smiled at her, but this time, he nearly knocks her over when he tackles her.

She laughs, stumbling backwards but managing to catch herself. The guys laugh, too. It hasn't been said outloud, but they know. They have to know. Dan and Elliott are looking at eachother, shared looks of concern on their faces. That can't be good. She's grateful that Cade doesn't notice.

Cade gets another homer and then a double to round out the evening for a total of 11 RBI's in a single game. They win 18-5.

It ties the league record for most RBI's in a single game. The team runs out to the mound to celebrate. They're swarming Cade and giving him a celebratory Gatorade shower.

She finishes up her duties and heads up to the office to wrap up for the night. She figures Cade will probably go out with the guys.

She settles into her desk to finalize the game report. After an hour, the once thunderous stadium is silent. She is just about to go home when there is a knock on her door. A rush of worry spreads over her, remembering how Dan and Elliott had reacted when Cade had mauled her in front of everyone.

She's more than pleasantly surprised when it's neither. Instead, it's that beautiful, bright face she has grown ever so fond of.

He comes in and scoops her up, arms snug around her waist. He spins her around. He smells of lemon lime and soap.

He puts her back down on her feet.

"You were incredible tonight." She says.

That makes his grin widen, but his cheeks are rosy.

"What's wrong?" She asks. 

He shrugs a little, turning his shoulder into his chin, the way he does when he is embarrassed.

"I...I just had like the biggest game of my life." He says.

"I know. I'm proud of you." She says and squeezes his shoulder.

"I just...I don't want to go home to an empty house, you know?"

She smiles and strokes his wet hair.

"You're welcome to come back to my place tonight." She offers.

"Or, maybe you'd want to come to mine? I mean, call time isn't until 3:00, you'll have plenty of time to go home and change and get ready in the morning. If you don't want to, it's okay, I completely---" She cuts him off.

"The answer is yes." She says.

Then his cheeks grow even redder.

"Let me wrap up a couple things here and we will get going, okay?"

He nods happily. God, the grip he has on her is unbelievable.

Cade's house looks the same as it did last time. Except this time, she doesn't have to tiptoe.

"I might need another shower. I don't think I got all the sticky off." He says.

His hair is dry now but she can see it's still stuck together.

"Mind chilling here for a few? Then I'll make us a snack."

He closes the bathroom door behind him.

She walks around, looking at the house. It's small, but cozy. Everything matches nicely. It's tidy. All the dishes are done and the floor is clean. It's almost a little weird for a bachelor pad, but then again, it's Cade.