What happens in Pakistan, stays in Pakistan? part 1

February

Maha's pov

At the cafe.

As the PSL tournament flickered on the TV screen, Zafirah's voice droned on in boredom. Aarish, fully invested in the cricket match, barely paid attention to her friend's complaining.

"I just don't get it. What do people see in this sport? It's so dull." Zafirah continued.

"It's only dull if you don't understand it. I could say the same thing about football. To each their own, right?" Aarish countered.

I hung up the phone with my brother and made my way to the store counter where I found Aarish and Zafirah engaged in a lively discussion.

"But here's what I really don't understand," Zafirah interjected. "Why is everyone obsessed with this guy?"

"Who?" Aarish replied, puzzled.

"Him." Zafirah pointed at Babar Azam on the TV screen.

"He's one of the best cricket players in the world, for starters," Aarish explained patiently. "And he's also a bachelor, which adds to his appeal. Plus, many find him quite attractive."

"Hmm, I see." Zafirah nodded in understanding. "Aarish, you truly are a different breed of human."

I couldn't help but join in on their conversation. "What makes you say that?"

"Well, most people may find cricket players attractive, but Aarish here appreciates their batting style above all else." Zafirah quipped with a mischievous glint in her eye.
"I mean who doesn't love it when Barber Azam does his signature cover drive." Zafirah rolled her eyes at Aarish's comment.

As I thought about it, I had to agree with Zafirah.

With a nervous chuckle, I announced to my friends, "Oh, I've got something to tell you guys. In just one week's time, I'll be traveling to Pakistan."

Zafirah raised an eyebrow and commented, "Well, that's certainly some last-minute news. Couldn't you have told us sooner?"

I explained, "I know, but the thing is...they planned the trip months ago, but I completely forgot about it until they reminded me. And it's only for two weeks, for Farhad's Nikah. His wedding day will be after Ramzan. "

Aarish chimed in, "I think it's good for you. You just finished your term exams and two weeks isn't so bad. Especially given the situation." She gestured towards my arm in a cast. "And everything that happened with the attempted kidnapping and Asir Imran...you definitely need a break. And whilst you're there, why don't you go watch a PSL match."

"But what about us?" Zafirah nudged Aarish. "Don't we need a break too?"

As much as I could use a break from everything - especially Asir Imran - I felt guilty leaving my friends behind. They deserved a break too. "Don't worry," I assured them. "When I come back, you guys can have a two-week break from work."

"Aww thanks, Maha," Zafirah smiled gratefully.

"Speaking of Asir Imran," Zafirah teased with a mischievous glint in her eye. "Where is he? Isn't he our usual customer?"

Avoiding Asir Imran was definitely on my agenda during this trip. It's not that I hated him or anything, but things were still awkward between us.

......................................................................
The airplane was cramped and dimly lit. The seats were uncomfortable, and I could see the exhaustion on the faces of my fellow passengers. The car ride was no better, the road twisted and turned through the mountains, the view outside a blur as we sped by. The bridge used to be old and rickety, its rope cords frayed and worn, bearing in mind that this bridge had to hold the weight of a car. But now, they built an actual sturdy bridge. The landscape was beautiful, the mountains standing tall and majestic against the bright blue sky. The roads were lined with trees and flowers, a stark contrast to the town streets. The house was sprawling and grand, the balconies and rooves adding character to its structure. The yard was filled with memories of my childhood, and the smell of the tandoor oven wafted through the air.