Vol. 6 Chp. 1: Childhood Friend

The sports festival ended in mid-October, around the time of year when it started getting chilly.

After a recent general election, the school organized a grand handover ceremony at the gymnasium to welcome the new student council leader. The event brought together students from across the school. Although some first-year students found the event unexciting and struggled to stay awake, they tried to remain silent and control their breathing to avoid the notice of teachers and seniors.

"Here are some final remarks from President Horikita of the student council."

Following the moderator's speech, Horikita Manabu slowly approached the microphone on the stage.

As Horikita oversaw her brother's resignation, she gazed at him firmly. If this were the younger Horikita, merely seeing her brother onstage would likely have made her cringe.

"I am proud and grateful to have been able to lead the student council for almost two years. Thank you very much."

After making a brief, solemn statement, Horikita's brother quietly retreated to his original position without any emotional or moving words. The retirement ceremony, however, was not over yet, as the student council officers on the stage remained standing with a firm and unyielding posture.

"Student president Horikita has worked so hard for you all. Now, please welcome the new student council president, a second-year student of Class A, Miyabi Nagumo."

The new student council president, Miyabi Nagumo, stepped up to the microphone. On the stage, Ichinose watched warmly among the other council members.

"I am Miyabi Nagumo of the second year's Class A. President Horikita; I appreciate your strict and kind guidance. I am honored and would like to pay tribute to you. I am thankful for being able to accompany the legendary president, who has played one of the greatest leadership roles in the history of this school."

With that, he bowed deeply in the direction of Horikita's brother and then re-faced the students.

"Let me introduce myself again. My name is Miyabi Nagumo. I will be the next student president of Advanced Nurturing High School. Please take care of me."

During the sports festival, I noticed a change in Nagumo's behavior. He appeared polite and gentle, and his demeanor during the relay race vastly differed from what I had previously observed. Despite this, I couldn't shake the feeling that his true intentions were masked. Nagumo's smile was slight and barely noticeable, yet it disrupted the tranquil atmosphere.

"Hello. I have proposals regarding the student council's appointment procedures and general election practice. I suggest moving the general election from December to October, which I believe will be a positive step towards a new era for the student council. I also suggest changing the president's and officers' tenure from terms to indefinite, allowing them to serve until graduation. Additionally, I propose removing the current restrictions on the number of student council officers. This means that anyone excellent and necessary can become a student council member, regardless of the number of slots available. If someone is deemed unfit for office, I suggest establishing a majority vote system to expel them from their positions at the meetings. To create a better school system for the future, we must make some changes and break away from the old ways preserved by previous student councils."

He spoke so forcefully that it seemed to negate all the merits of the former student president who stood behind him.

"I originally wanted to implement this new system immediately, but unfortunately, I can not do that. This is because various constraints will bind the new student president upon first taking office."