An Ordeal in Scotland

Itzy played the last three shows of their tour, ending in a giant concert in Seoul. Yeji had noticed that since she met Radius, the joy in performing had returned. She was surprised how little apprehension she felt about the new life she was starting.

She wanted to go outside and take a walk, and stop for some fast food. But she hadn't been able to do things like that for years. After all, she was in Itzy. If any of them went out in public they'd be swarmed by fans. She loved meeting the fans, but sometimes it became dangerous for all of them, since they could block the sidewalk or the crowd spilled over into the street. So instead, she sat alone in the living room, working on a puzzle.

Her phone rang. The number was blocked, but she knew who it was.

"It's time, Vector," Radius said. "You're going to Scotland for six months, to a secret facility where you'll be trained. I'm not going to lie, it's going to be brutal. But our psychological profile indicates that you thrive under pressure."

"Profile? You've been profiling me? For how long?"

"About four years. We were watching a couple of dozen idols, but after watching hundreds of hours of footage of you performing, as well as how you handled the media, it became clear that you are really two people, Vector."

"What does that mean?" Yeji asked.

"You're generous, poised, and kind. But do remember how you handled that photographer?"

She laughed. "You have to be more specific."

"The one who shoved Yuna," Vector said.

Yeji smiled. "I do. I will protect those girls with my life. It's an unnie's duty."

"You hit him so hard you broke his jaw, Vector. And that's not even the best part."

"Yes?"

"He was one of us - a highly trained, very dangerous operator, sent to test you. And you disabled him so fast we could barely see it even in slow motion."

Yeji laughed. "If I was a man, everyone would've said that I was heroic, standing up to such a jerk. But as a woman, they said I wasn't acting ladylike, and they kept me out of the public eye for a month." Yeji reflected for a moment. "Speaking of my day job, how are we going to explain why I'm gone for six months? You know how hard we work."

"JYP isn't a problem you need to worry about."

"How so?"

"Because we bought them. Or rather, a shell company of a shell company we have bought them. We're also keeping JYP in his place. He'll still lead the mechanics of k-pop, but that's it. Otherwise he's just a dancing puppet. We're going to create two subunits, one with Lia and Chaeryeong, and the other with Ryujin and Yuna. They'll keep the media busy for a long time."

"But what about me?" Yeji protested. "I'm still part of the group. I don't want to leave."

"You won't be leaving, you'll be 'recovering from a knee injury'" Radius said. "Your missions are depending on Itzy staying popular and all of you touring the world. We thought about getting a lookalike, but we couldn't find one with your talent. But enough of this. Tonight at 1am you'll catch a private jet that will take you to Scotland. Then you won't see me for awhile. And one more thing, Vector."

"What?"

"You need to stay away from relationships until further notice. We can't risk the exposure destroying the group. This isn't a hobby. This is your new life."

"So where are you off to now?" Yeji asked.

"That's none of your business, Vector. All I'll say is that we have another operator at one of the other labels."