Yellow Flowers

Ryujin and Yeji drove up into the mountains on an exquisitely beautiful summer day. Yeji was in the passenger seat, her face sticking out of the window as the breeze blew fast against her face, whipping her long ponytail around. Bright sunlight glittered in her eyes. She smiled like a puppy that was outside for the first time. Everything seemed new, crisper, and the colors more saturated.

Ryujin looked over and smiled. She was so, so happy to see Yeji enjoying herself so much. She felt an almost mystical bond to this woman, and she had never felt such deep, profound joy. It was almost like she couldn't remember who she was before she met Yeji.

As Ryujin watched the amazing scenery pass by, she had the strangest feeling, almost an out-of-body experience. For the rest of my life, I'm going to remember this exact moment. I'll think about it when we're old, and when I'm dying. A part of me will always live right here, right now. And my Yeji is making it all possible. She is life itself, a force that moves everything. No one can ever take this away from us. Future Ryujin, remember that you weren't afraid to love someone so hard, and that you were courageous enough to do it. I have to go now. I have to go back to being young and in love.

After another 30 minutes, they pulled over to a small camping spot with a magnificent view of the farms and forest far below. The sky looked almost as if it were made of bright blue glass. Yeji took their lunch basket out of the trunk, and they sat on a picnic table near the edge of the cliff.

"I've always loved this place, loved coming here with you," Yeji said.

Ryujin grinned and Yeji realized for the millionth time how elegant and beautiful she was. Her toothy smile and dimples looked joyful, welcoming, and vulnerable all at the same time. You just wanted to hug her and keep her safe.

"Me too," she said. "I'm glad when we can get out of Seoul, even for a little while. Sometimes it's easy to forget that other places actually exist. Itzy travels too much." She sighed.

"This has become kind of our special place, hasn't it?" Yeji asked.

"It is," Ryujin said. "Even though we're kinda close to the road, it somehow feels isolated. I love all the yellow flowers around. I love watching them blow in the wind." She grinned. "I love these sandwiches you make!"

Yeji grinned. "I'm just grateful someone likes my cooking. I can barely eat it myself. The rest of the girls are too afraid."

"Well, you've at least mastered sandwiches," Ryujin said, her mouth full.

"This might be a little weird, but can I ask you something?"

"You're asking me if it's ok to ask me something?" Ryujin smiled.

"Yes. Well... I'm not sure how to put it, even though I've practiced."

"Just go ahead and ask, sweetie. Is it about borrowing clothes? I thought we settled that..."

Yeji looked at the ground, her hands trembling.

"Ryujin, will you marry me? I know this isn't maybe the best way -"

Ryujin jumped up, spit out her mouthful of food, and ran around the table. She took Yeji's face in her hands. "HELL YES!" she said. "This is going to taste like ham salad, babe," she said, and gave Yeji a deep, passionate kiss, pulling her in for a hug as she did. Both girls had tears streaming down their cheeks.

"Oh, Yeji, you... you've made me the happiest woman on Earth." She looked up at the sky and shouted "YES, YES, YES, I AM MARRYING HWANG YEJI!! I AM MARRYING HWANG YEJI!! SHIN RYUJIN IS MARRYING HWANG YEJI!! YES, YES, YES!!"

Yeji smiled shyly. "Hey, crazy lady, you're scaring the animals!" Then she scooped Ryujin up and twirled her around.

"I never realized it," Ryujin laughed, "'Yes' is the most beautiful word in the world. I'm never saying 'no' again!"

"We gotta text the girls!" Yeji said.

"No. Let's wait until we are back at the dorm. I think it will be better if we do it in person. They are going to freak. Then will begin the most dangerous part of any wedding: the planning. I've got one word for you to think about."

"What's that?" Yeji asked.

"Colors."

"It's all going to be pink, so what's there to talk about?"

Ryujin laughed. "And it begins." She kissed her fiance.

. . . . .

Ryujin again drove back. Yeji curled up drowsily against the door. Her mind began to drift. Remember today, forever. Remember it when you hate who you are and what you do. Remember Ryujin. I want her to be safe. I want to protect my four children. That is what an unnie does. Ryujin, you are my connection to life, to what is good. I don't want to drift away, to spin off into space. You are the most precious, most beautiful thing in the universe. You save me. I promise I'll explain everything and I pray everyday that you won't think I'm a monster...