Mission IV: Arbiter

Yeji hopped out of the cab and saw Radius sitting alone on a park bench

Yeji hopped out of the cab and saw Radius sitting alone on a park bench. The weather was beautiful, with a warm breeze and bright sunshine. Many children were playing about and for a moment it felt like she and Radius were two old friends getting together for a chat.

"I got you coffee," Yeji said, holding out the cup.

"Thank you Vector, that's very considerate," Radius said. Then she removed the lid, dumped the coffee on the ground, crumpled up the cup, and threw it on the ground. "I hate coffee, but thanks."

Yeji sighed. "For a moment you almost seemed human. Well, let's get to it: what's my next mission?"

"First of all, you and Archangel did a great job. They're still digging out the bodies, but since each of them was carrying a Chinese weapon, the world is discovering what happened, and the Chinese have rounded up the group, and of course, they are declaring it a victory for themselves."

"That's great," Yeji said.

"How was it working with Archangel?"

Yeji suppressed a grin. "She's a highly motivated, highly skilled operative. I'd fight side-by-side with her anytime."

Radius smirked. "A very scripted answer, Vector. Is 'fighting side-by-side' all you two did?"

"I'm not sure I understand the question, ma'am."

"I helped train her. She is extremely skilled, but let's just say she often plays fast and loose with the rules."

Again, Yeji worked hard not to smile as she remembered spooning Winter on their last mission. "I'm not sure what you mean. She was a total pro with me, and I'd be happy to do a mission with her anytime."

Radius sighed. "That's good to hear. She keeps pulling this stunt where she gets operatives to spoon her. I knew I could count on you to set a good example."

Yeji gulped. "Thank you. So what's the next mission?"

"You're going to rob a bank. A big bank. The Bank of Italy in Rome."

"Why am I robbing the national bank of one of our NATO allies?" Yeji asked.

"You're robbing it because the Italians have asked us to."

"What? Why?"

"Because all that glitters is not gold, Vector. Listen. About a month ago, the staff and customers of the bank began noticing some strange things. First, when people use their cell phones, they're picking up trace amounts of static. Second, all cell phone pictures are coming out with dozens of tiny white dots on the images. There's only one thing that could do that -"

"Radiation," Yeji said gravely.

"Exactly. When they looked into the problem, they made a staggering discovery: all of the gold in the vault, billions of lira, had been replaced."