Chapter 12

Dawn's POV

Luke and Lex weren't terrible company. I realized fairly quickly they were assigned to stalk my every move so invited them to just hang out with me. We had spent all of yesterday and today watching ninety minute horror movies, and not all were the peak of cinema brilliance if you catch my drift. We were sitting in the living room arguing over what to watch on Netflix after finishing the latest Netflix original, which was arguably the best of the bunch.

I had let myself day dream just a little back to lazy days off in my little living room with Ryan, or the whole gang. Days it looked like I would never see again.

My eyes flicked to the window seeing the familiar deep black outside the pane. It had been dark for hours and I was settling into both the relief and disappointment of realizing Dax wouldn't be home again tonight. The disappointment made me uncomfortable so I shook it off and came back to reality wincing slightly at the pang in my neck.

"You have gotten to pick since yesterday. I can't watch another "horror" movie," Lex made air quotes around the word horror.

"Hey I'm only human this shit is scary to me," I shrug at my own words, "Werewolf movies in particular have become a whole lot more terrifying."

Lex blushed and looked a bit ashamed but Luke just laughed picking up on my joking tone.

The clock on the wall read ten past midnight as I finally settled on my next pick.

Right as I pressed play the door opened causing me to jump and both guys on the couch with me to laugh hysterically.

"Hey Ace!" they said in unison, probably knowing he was there long before he opened the door.

I sheepishly crossed my arms in embarassment as Ace uncharacteristically waved the other guys off.

"Dawn you should get to bed. We expected you would asleep by now."

Ace was shifting his weight from one foot to the other, looking anxious, as he stared at me.

I had a day and a half with the two warrior wolves and was in a fairly good mood so I just chuckled, "Was just about to force these two through another cliché horror movie, if you get more popcorn you can join us."

A smile appeared on Ace's face and he half stepped forward to take the bowl I had stretched towards him when he seemed to remember something.

"You should really get to bed," smile gone, super serious Beta wolf back.

I sighed, "Well I'm not a child and even if I was you're not my parent."

"Dawn please-"

"What's going on Ace?"

I took in how truly off the powerful male was acting. Just then the door opened again revealing Kain with his arm around Trish laughing and smiling with Dax who casually had his arm around a gorgeous brunette. I could taste the jealousy. It was acrid on my tongue but I didn't push it back. At least this emotion attached to the bond made me angry with him, no need to push it back and hurt myself.

"DAWN?!" Trish seemed ecstatic to see me despite my coldness during our last exchange.

"Uh hi Kain, Trish," I eyed the woman cuddled into Dax, "new girl."

Dax sheepishly rubbed the back of his neck, "Figured you would be asleep."

"Nope just watching movies with Luke and Lex," I gestured to the two warriors who sat mouths agape on the couch.

Ace's eyes flitted about. I studied the brunette, obviously a wolf, stunning figure with a good amount of cleavage framed by gently cascading chesnut locks. Her big honey colored eyes assessed me right back and I noticed her scoff.